1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I thought he didn't want to be no pop singer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Oct 22, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Goddamn, it's disappointing to watch John Mellencamp turn into everything he used to rail against.

It sucks enough that he sold "My Country" to Chevrolet. But now he's allowing it to be served as some kind of flag-waving anthem, which is hard to swallow for a guy whose "Pink Houses" was misintrepreted by the flag-wavers.

And now he's following in the footsteps of the Baha Men and Sheryl Crow by performing before a World Series game in front of more than 40,000 bored and shivering souls.

I hope Seger points out what a tool Mellencamp has become (in between shoving his chiclets back in his mouth).

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Did Mellencamp rip Seger for Like A Rock?

3. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

And Chevrolet is using Katrina, 9/11, Nixon, and the Vietnam war to sell trucks ??? :mad:

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Those Chevy "My Country" commmercials are beginning to piss me off.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

You'll never convince me he wasn't singing "don't wanna be no Bob Seger" in "Pop Singer."

Mellencamp didn't mind being the defiant underdog singing for the little guy screwed by the gov't in the mid-80s. Now he's selling cars and allowing his song to be sold as some kind of patriotic anthem. Grumble.

6. From the grave Jim Morrison yells out "Stronger than dirt!"

7. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one absolutely repulsed by this ad. It's almost as if Karl Rove wrote the ad himself. It's got everything: Rosa Parks, Muhammad Ali, Hurricane Katrina flooding, firemen, the beams of light commemorating the twin towers, farmers.

Seriously, there's no questioning who they're trying to reach out to in that ad.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Maybe Johnny Cougar can sign on to do some Applebee's commercials, preferably in time for the next NCAA tournament.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

And--again--it's so goddamn distressing that it's sung by the guy who laughed Reagan's numbnut reps out of the room when they wanted to use "Pink Houses" as a theme song in '84.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

the performance left cosmo vaguely uncomfortable

11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Seriously? And who is that?

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I can't decide which ads annoy me more -- Toby Keith's Ford ones or the Mellencamp one with all the political images. I despise Toby Keith on principle and I'm highly disappointed in Mellencamp for selling out and allowing them to use his song in what appears to be Republican propaganda.

I'm so buying a Honda next time.

Draft saved Draft deleted