1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I thought animals would strike curious poses tonight ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I had the idea to do the Top 40 Re-Poll countdown tonight since I was off, but I was in a car accident today and not feeling up to it.

Fortunately, no one was hurt seriously. An 83-year-old man ran through a red light as I entered an intersection in our minivan. There was nothing I could do but try to minimize the hit by swerving hard right, but he still bashed the left driver side corner of my van. He was going between 30 and 40 miles per hour when he hit us.

My whole family was in the van with me. My kids were scared to death, but not hurt. My wife banged her knee on the dash, but she appears to be OK. I took "the worst" of it, but it's not that bad. My left arm looks like someone took a cheese shredder to it. Presumably, I had it resting on the window side when we got bashed. My knee got hit too, but not badly.

The van is totaled. Coolent from the bashed in radiator ran all over the street. The engine bloc took the brunt of the impact (fortunately) from the side, I can't imagine how it could be salvaged or how it would be worth it considering we were well into six figures on mileage. We just paid it off a few months ago and hoped we'd be car payment-less for a while, but alas, that's not to be.

The guy who hit us was a piece of shit. At first, he emerged from his car and said matter-of-factly, "Well, I tried to run that one." Then, probably realizing what an idiotic thing that was to say, he quickly changed his tune and claimed he had the green light. Unfortunately, there were no witnesses, so this one's going to be between the insurance companies.

Neither of us were ticketed, though he deserved to be. In the police report, I made the officier note the old man's comment and the fact that when my van came to a stop, my light was yellow, which would indicate that it was green when I drove through it.

I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty shaken. I'm glad I swerved, otherwise, myself and my son (who was behind me in the van) would have taken a big hit.

Fuck this sucks.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Glad you're OK, Bubs.. And go after the fucker. Hard. 83 and driving that stupid? Make an example of him

3. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Glad to hear you guys are okay.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Holy fuck, what a shithead. The Throne of Judgment is trying to come up with appropriate punishment.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Lawyer up. Make sure you keep a journal of ALL doctor visits and what not for everyone in involved.

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you all right and 2 thumbs up for a wicked thread title.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Does anyone remember the thread I had a few years ago about my bad luck with the number 29? Add up today's date ... 6-14-09.

I had a premonition something bad was going to happen today a few days ago. I hate 29.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Damn man. That sounds frightening as shit. Glad you're OK.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Whisper Goodman weeps.

Glad to hear you and the family are OK.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Glad you're OK, Bubbs.
    You're lucky the van didn't flip. Those things can be pretty top-heavy. My mom was driving one six or seven years ago when someone ran a stop sign and clipped her right rear side. The van flipped. Mom had her arm out the window and no seat belt, and was probably going 40 mph or so when she was hit. Amazingly, she survived without any life-threatening injuries (thank goodness). I think she got a concussion, though, and her arm was pretty torn up. She had to have a bunch of skin grafts and she still has problems with it.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That blows, Bubbs.

Glad you clan is OK.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Glad to hear everything is OK. Moddy's right...keep a journal of EVERYTHING.

Draft saved Draft deleted