1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I think the marriage between ESPN and Bill Simmons might need counseling

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

According to him, he handed in his NFL Picks column Thursday night, and ESPN spiked it. Nothing ran. Which he then mentioned on his personal blog. It's a mad, mad world, kids.

http://deadspin.com/5074198/espn-jerks-bill-simmons-around-yet-again

http://sportsguy.blogspot.com/

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He hasn't posted on his personal blog in nearly nine years, then uses it for that?

Time for him to go full out war on ESPN. Stop pussying around.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

He's been posting on his personal blog for about three or four months now. Only once or twice a month, but he's been posting old columns or stories, or occasional gripes against his employer.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Can we just bypass a counselor and go straight to a divorce lawyer, for the betterment of the kids?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Can we jump down an item and go back to crucifying Wahb for making shit up?

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I actually don't mind Simmons when he's not writing an exclusively Boston thing. He can be entertaining at times.

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Haven't been up to date on the tensions betwixt ESPN and Simmons. We all have gripes about our employer, but what's the major malfunction?

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The "picks" thing just bores me to tears. Who gives a fig, no matter who you are, unless real money is on the line. The Sunday NFL shows kill an hour with it, but it's just dumb.
    The only one I actually look for is Lee Corso's Saturday morning pick. Great schtick (he picked TTech on Saturday and even fired off two guns) while wearing the mascot head. It's even better when he picks against the home crowd.
    As for Simmons? (yawn). Anyone know his contract status? Might ESPN figure Reilly alone will do?

9. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

As I say when Michigan and Ohio State play,
    "Can they both lose?"

10. times38

times38 Member

he's under contract until 2010.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I will say this in Simmons' defence: I took Kelenna Azubuike in my NBA pool on his advice. Very, very good pick in the 15th round.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA Kelenna Azubuike. Lord. Never thought I'd hear that name again.

Except when I'm listening to my Shagari Alleyne rap.

Draft saved Draft deleted