1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I think only Canadians will care about this...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sirvaliantbrown, Apr 13, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I know that a lot of Newfoundlanders hated what Joey Smallwood did but in the end, the province is better off in Canada than being a colony of England.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

I don't read the Post much, but I couldn't figure out what prompted Cosh to write this pile. It's part of a series about the biggest mistakes Canada has made. They did the Meech Lake Accord, multiculturalism, publicly funded university, anti-business cynicism, and anti-Americanism.

We're at an apex of economic success and they have to be all negative.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Flash, it's the Post.

It's a bigger rag than all of the Sun Media papers combined.

When Black started the paper, he was trying to create this British style newspaper in Canada. It was the weirdest paper I ever read---including a column early on by some wanker Brit who went to his first hockey game. The whole column dripped with condescension--he wrote it as if we were still a British colony.

Now they're relying on second rate bloggers like Cosh to provide their seriously ignorant right wing take on the country.

Do they have a piece on health care in their "Greatest Mistakes Series"?

I can practically quote it verbatim without even reading it.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Not one person I know reads the Post ...

5. "I live in a rather special world. I only know one person who voted for Nixon. Where they are I don't know. They're outside my ken. But sometimes when I'm in a theater I can feel them."

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I don't know whether you're being sarcastic or not, but like Flash, I don't know a soul who reads the Post. And we live at opposite ends of the country.

Toronto is a four newspaper town: the Star, the Sun, The Globe and the Post. All dailies and both the Globe & Post claim to be "national dailies"

If you did a random sample with ten Torontonians about which paper they prefer it'd probably break down like this; 5 Sun, 4 Star, 1 Globe. Or maybe flip the Sun & The Star.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Does the Greatest Mistakes series include anything about Celine Dion?

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Or Howie Mandel.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Left out this guy, too:

[​IMG]

Of course, I'll still take him over Dubya.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Joe Who?

One of the greatest headlines in Canadian newspaper history.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Flash

Flash Guest

Yup ... then there was Tequila Sheila.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"Nobody's baby".

Now, there was a BROAD. Man, she could street fight and drink with the best of 'em.

Came upon it honestly. Her dad Vic Copps was mayor of Hamilton from '62-76.

Draft saved Draft deleted