1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I think only Canadians will care about this...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sirvaliantbrown, Apr 13, 2008.

1. ...but this is my favourite column-opening-paragraph (do columns have "ledes"?) in a while:

Don't take this too seriously, but I think it's possible to argue that the worst political mistake in Canadian history can be summed up in one word: Newfoundland.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

From what I've gathered from SJCanuckistan.com, most would agree. The only references I ever see to Newfies on here is when they're being made fun of.
  3. Flash

Flash Guest

There are many a Newfoundlander who believes Confederation was a boner. God Save the Queen remains a staple at events, instead of O Canada.
  4. Which Cosh does say:

The bitter truth is that those who came closest to being right about joining Confederation in the referendum fight of 1948 turned out to be the most extreme, most paranoid of the anti-federates. They said that Confederation would lead to an exodus of Newfoundland's young and most talented. They said that Ottawa would run the cod fishery short-sightedly and perhaps destroy it. They said, long before Churchill Falls, that joining Confederation would leave Newfoundland at the mercy of French-Canadian interests. Can history offer any retort?
  5. Flash

Flash Guest

The 'young and most talented' would have left anyway, although that's impossible to prove. You gots to go where the work is.
  6. Fair fair. But it would be harder for them to leave, obviously - there'd be immigration processes to go through, work visas to have to wait in line for, and so on.
  7. In Exile

In Exile Member

And a great number of Newfoundlander's believe the worst mistake in Newfoundland political history can be summed up in one word, too:

My mother never considered herself Canadian, and neither does anyone else in my family, many of whom went from living an 18th century life to this one with damn little help from anyone, certainly not Ottawa.
  8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Lotta Newfies in my part of the Toronto 'burbs. Guy next door is a Newfie as is the guy across the street. There's Newfie restaurants, Newfie bars and I think the Downhomer, a paper for Newfies who left the Rock, has an office here.

Salt of the earth, Newfies are. Never met one yet who wouldn't give you the shirt off his back.
  9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Taking the column's first five words at face value, I read it as nothing more than a tongue-in-cheek commentary and a light-hearted poke at Newfie politics. Substitute "America," "Texas," and "1845," and you'll probably see the same column having been written over time.
  10. But with some words spelled differently.
  11. Flash

Flash Guest

One of the first stories I wrote in my career was on the shutdown of the cod fishery. It was sad.
  12. JR

JR Active Member

Oh, more silliness from The National Post. It used to idiosyncratic. Now it's just idiotic.

Someone should tell Cosh and the Post that right wing Western Canadian bashing of the Maritimes and the rest of Eastern Canada fell out of favour shortly after Preston Manning's attempt at making his Reform Party of Canada a national one failed miserably in the 1988 election

The message was pretty clear from the rest of Canada: STFU.
Draft saved Draft deleted