1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Think I Understand Fox News Watchers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Mar 19, 2020.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Admittedly prior to the pandemic, I relied a great deal on my BS detector and my education to parse out positions. When my buddies would make factual arguments, I admitted I was not fully informed and did my research.

With this pandemic and my desire to find information, I’ve had to step up my fact finding but what I’ve found is that researching today is faster but overwhelming because of the sheer magnitude of what’s available. It frankly was easier when I had two sources of info, my newspaper and the national and local news.

All due respect to each of you, I realized that I took a great deal of what you say at face value before; similar to aggregators out there who IMHO are spouting utter BS. I’m not talking about the substance of what’s said but just the mere fact of relying on what others say.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Read NPR, BBC and your local.

That’s all you need.

Al Jazeera possibly. TMZ for breaking.

Stay away from twitter and Facebook for news.

It scares me to death what people believe is legit.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Thanks; I’m not really talking about where to find the “correct” info (I agree with your sources) but how the reliance on others leads you to a certain POV.

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

You get numbed to the drumming of the same shit over and over and gotcha comments on Twitter are part of that.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I guess I rely upon them because I trust them.

Hopefully they don’t break my trust.

I guess people have forgotten how important it is to trust news sources. Is that what you are saying?

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yes, and don’t fall into trap of acceptance of BS.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Extend it to the government (this goes generations before Trump).

If they tell you something, there's XX percent chance it's true. But there's a 100 percent chance it's what they WANT you to believe.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Like you believing there were almost no COVID-19 cases in Russia? I know you're ignoring me, because you're a cowardly dipshit, but it still needs to be said.

Draft saved Draft deleted