1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I sometimes think we think we are that important

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MartinEnigmatica, May 19, 2007.

1. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Has anyone else gotten the feeling recently that the people who report the news are more and more becoming the news. From the Whitlock-Stringer episode to established look-at-me staples like Around the Horn, to the Tierney story where he wants to turn every journo into a brand, to that story about Murray Waas. Maybe it's because this is a journalism-based forum that frequently discusses people in the business, and maybe it's because the boom of media formats has been a giant explosion creating more face and name time. But the emphasis on the who behind the what seems to be getting heavier and heavier each year.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Jouralists. Self-important? Nooooooooooo.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i blame whitlock in more ways than one.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

petty, you woke me up with your incessant posting, dammit! i'm going to kick your ass!

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

deliver the crown and i'll quiet down.

6. This has been going on for years sadly.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

that rhymes.

8. In Exile

In Exile Member

It's the "pay attention to me" syndrome, akin to the constant need for rewards thread of a few weeks ago. At its core, the constant need to comment on and attempt to draw more and more attention to what has already been written, and/or the writer, exclusive of the words, displays a total lack of confidence in and disrespect for the work itself.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i am sam. sam i am.

10. We're missing Martin's point a bit. He's also talking about pressures from above to turn us into "brands" -- to give us characters to play in other media, to elevate the personality over the work.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no argument bastard, just a question: do you think that's what the public wants or no?

12. It's what a big part of the consumer public seems to want, Tom.
    Or at least, the people selling to that part seem to think so.
    Personally, it gives me hives.

Draft saved Draft deleted