1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I sometimes forget how important we are ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ColbertNation, May 17, 2007.

1. That one left me speechless. Geez.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The stories posted here make me feel good to be sitting behind a desk while reporters take those calls.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

but reporters know you love the blue bird of cocksuckery. evens things out.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

You should call her back and tell her that the new dad went back to work, and during his first game, his baby died. That should make her feel like she's made a difference in the world.

She probably won't object unless he was at the Catholic school game, though.

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

It left me speechless as well. You get some stupid calls, but this was one of those wow-just-wow moments.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I love even more people who get so emotionally wrapped up in something when they DON'T EVEN HAVE CHILDREN INVOLVED!

Like the woman who said God was going to punish us because we hate the Dallas Cowboys, or the man who threatened to kill me because I wouldn't print that Michael Bishop sucked despite throwing five or six TDs in a losing effort in the Big 12 title game several years ago.

7. bigugly

bigugly Member

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding....we have a winner. Lock it!

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Has anyone snapped at a parent? Saw a kid do that once. All I heard was his side of the convo: "Well she should probably play better if she wants to be in the paper more." Then hung up on the mother/father.

He was given a long tounge-lashing by the ME and Exec Ed, but all us in the sports dept knew exactly where he was coming from.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't snap at parents. I just exasperate them. It's more fun, really.

10. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

There's always this tried-and-true response for the parents of a player on the losing team: "You're just mad because my team won."

11. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Back when we used to do prep football picks, we had coaches ask us not to pick their team, so they could use that as motivation. We picked'em as we saw them, them dumped the picks a year or so later.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

In my experience, if I had to rank which sports have the most insane parents, it woud be something like this (note, forget about the individual country club sports like tennis and golf -- those people are from another planet)....

1.) Softball -- The most thin-skinned and angry at the world by far....

2.) Basbeall --The most unrealistic and ridiculous in terms of delusional thoughts about how great their kids are.

3.) Swimming -- Mad at the world because nobody gives a shit about their sport to begin with.

4.) Soccer -- Ridiculous football-envy clouds their better judgement in terms of complaining about coverage.

5.) Wrestling -- We never cover enough of it and when we do we send someone who just doesn't understand it.....

Draft saved Draft deleted