1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I sometimes forget how important we are ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ColbertNation, May 17, 2007.

1. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Had a parent call today to complain that our coverage of the conference track meet was too one-sided, and that her daughter was so upset by this that she doesn't want to run track next year.
    Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I seem to remember a time when athletes played sports because they liked to play sports.
    But I'm going to accept my new responsibility, and I vow to take it seriously. Because it appears that without us, there would be no use for high school sports.

2. Her daughter sounds like a whiny bitch. She probably wasn't any good anyway ...

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Man, I'm more sympathetic to preps and prep parents than a lot of people here, but if a "bad" newspaper story -- and it's not really that, of course -- can get her to call it quits, then she indeed doesn't belong out there anyway.

4. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i have had numerous parents call and email me about how upset they were because of a picture that did or did not run, or how prominant their son/daughter was or wasn;t in the story. i love it when they make it sound like the kid is about to commit suicide and i am kicking the chair.

i tell them i write what happens, and i would hope their child is not playing because of the news coverage.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm glad you said it and not me because I would hate to incur the wrath of 21 and Sportschick about what a sexist bigot I am........ ;D

And I get a kick out of parents who claim their kids, who probably haven't opened a damn newspaper since they have been born, were "upset" about a write-up.

What a joke. It has been a while but I can honestly say when I played high school sports, I never once gave two thoughts about the write-up the next day in the paper. It just wasn't a priority of mine or any of my teammates.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I had a coach lay this one on me ... said good newspaper stories were very important for motivating the kids ... I didn't get the opportunity to tell him he must be doing a very bad job of motivating his kids if he's relying on me to do it.

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

[blue]You had damn better start taking this seriously. Do you want blood on your hands? Just wait until some parent informs you his kid committed suicide, because you pointed out he dropped the potential game-winning touchdown pass.[/blue]

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i had several parents call me because of your coverage as well. i gotta say, i'm siding with the parents. ;)

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"OK, let me talk to her...
    "Hey kid, mom says my coverage made you not want to run track, is that true?
    "Because I'm going to do a column on it. Spell your name for me...
    "Oh, so mom was exaggerating. What I thought. Thanks."
    *click*

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Good one.

I also loved being told that I screwed up some kid's scrapbook by not putting him the headline/photo/lede/in the agate when he/she finished 30th in an event.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So the consensus is that what we do is unimportant and no one reads it anyway and that anyone who happens to and has strong feelings about it is an idiot?

Yeah, let's go with that.

And they say newspapers are dying.

Draft saved Draft deleted