1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I smell enterprise...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Mar 19, 2007.

1. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2803778

First of all, this fucker needs to take next year off at the least. Second of all, PETA need not weigh in and sound like the earthy-crunchy hippies they can't afford to be. Thirdly, "two dogs died at this year's race...one of pneumonia, one from a hemorrhage caused by a gastric ulcer..." Pneumonia, really? That's something that should happen to a dog in the name of sport?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I know PETA pushes people's buttons with their shock tactics. But that quote is quite restrained and perfectly acceptable coming from an animal rights activist. It might have been the most reasonable thing quoted in the story.

3. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

I don't disagree with her, it's just that for some reason it came off as a complete non-sports fan weighing in on a sports issue, and that always rings a little hollow to me.

4. It's a "sport" that involves animals ...

5. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

So only one of those subjects needs to be understood?

6. What's there to understand? He beat a dog that was already giving him everything she had.

I'll give the event the benefit of the doubt because I know there's bad apples in every bunch, but I also know dogs are very resilient, in those conditions they'd have to be ... maybe he should have taken the dog's collapse as a sign rather than becoming "frustrated" ...

7. pallister

pallister Guest

This guy needs to beaten with that trail marking lathe.

8. If you mean the dog-beater, then yes, I completely agree.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Whom did you think I meant, Mert?

10. Actually, I didn't want to say I agree and then have it turn out that you were talking about me ...
    :) ... didn't think you were but I just wanted to cover my ass .. ;D

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Eddie Furlong once got arrested for liberating a bunch of live caged lobsters in a Kentucky supermarket.

12. Here ya are coming out of left field again, LJB ... thought we talked about this ...

Draft saved Draft deleted