1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I should've kept the planner

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I had always swore I'd never be one of those people who lived and died by a planner, but with so many schedules to keep track of, it happened years ago.

Then, recently, I finally gave in and fired up a PDA I'd purchased last year.

Today, for reasons unknown but to the Electronics Gods, my calendar was sent into Cyberspace and five hours of searching, swearing and seeking have resulted in the worst news for me.

It's gone. And the backup is corrupt.

I now have to rebuild about ten separate schedules - and have this done by tomorrow morning.

I think I'm going to go back to the planner. It may have been bulky, but I wouldn't have wasted five hours on my first complete day home in over a month.

And yes, I'm pouting the rest of the day.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I still use an old-fashioned planner. And I'm using an old-fashioned gradebook, too. My director told me I didn't have to do that anymore, it was all available electronically. I assured him if I did that I'd be in his door whimpering on the first day of December because I'd screwed it up 10 ways to Sunday. I'll write 'em down the way they used to and I won't lose them.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I write them down on little pieces of paper and find them eventually.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I just try to remember them, then forget them.

Clears up the schedule pretty regularly.

5. Awesome.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's exactly how I work. I had a ton of days of in the summer for some strange reason.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

I never have anything to do, so it's not a problem.

8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

paper rules

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I wish I never had anything to do.

I have some of the repeating stuff entered. Rosebud looked at my computer screen and commented on how empty it looked.

Then she added, "Uh, sorry. Guess I shouldn't have said that."

I just know I'm going to miss some stuff - dammit!

Think I'm going to at least get the planner back out as a backup.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I either already know or am confident I could learn pretty much anything technological.

However, I still MUST have a pen and paper on me at all times. There's no substitute for having a backup system that isn't subject to crashes or erased memory or breaking.

Although pens can explode, the biggest problem I have with them is their tendency to grow legs and walk out of my life.

11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

My biggest problem with having a planner was it was never around when I had something to write down. Now I have BlackBerry for my schedule. In college, I would just write all of my reminders down on my hand. It's like a pad I would never lose.

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Hotsync.

I'll give you hotsync. [/ready to start throwing things.]

I've reinstalled the Palm desktop, and it has now deleted my contact categories from my PDA. Even though I told it to sync with the desktop since that's correct.

Just which Electronics God did I piss off?

This stinks. A whole day wasted. Well, I have run most the laundry through, but still.

Draft saved Draft deleted