1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I should've been a rockstar

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OnTheRiver, Jan 23, 2008.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Buddy of mine used to play in a rock band called "Hum" back in the 1990s. He worked at the newspaper up until a few months ago, and he's selling medical supplies now.

Anyway, he got a call several weeks ago: Cadillac wanted to buy their song "Stars" for the commercials for the new CTS line. (Or is it DTS?)

Long and short of it: a five-figure check showed up in his mailbox the other day. His share of the purchase.

Guy got out of newspaper work AND got a check from Cadillac. Not a bad year.

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

What's wrong with using Led Zeppelin "Rock and Roll"?

Congrats to your friend. I wish I could have that kind of occurrence at some point in my life.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I used to wait tables with a guy whose wife was hassling him that the music was never going to take off, that he needed to get on with life.
    He said it was a difficult conversation with his bandmate Springsteen, who understood.

It's a great life if you can get there.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's great for him. But, frankly, it does nothing for me.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

If I were the guy ... damn. I'd have a hard time getting up every day after that.

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I could get him in touch with you for tips on pulling some ass, if you'd like.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Damn. I wouldn't know what to do with myself ...

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'll bet that five-figure check would be a good start.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I can't see it being a hindrance, that's for sure.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It probably beats the hell out of stopping at the bank before going out, you know, to cash in you $20 bill for 20 ones.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I haven't seen the guy since I moved to my current city - but I'd be shocked if he's still married. Guy was good, real good. Used to play with the house band sometimes in the bar at our restaurant. He was legit - had clips from local rags that reviewed their local shows and all. Just gave it up a wee bit too soon.

Whenever Springsteen would come on the system, someone in the restaurant would jack the volume for the guy.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Cruel, but funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted