1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I should expect to get paid...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by aluberda, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I have never heard of someone paying by the word or the inch count. Although I have met more than one writer who wrote as though he was. In this day and age, brevity is a virtue. Just because you can blather 45 inches doesn't mean it's better or more readable than a good 15-incher. "Diarehea of the quil" was what I called it.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I had a freelance gig for a while that paid by the word. It wasn't a big deal, but I suggest you opt for getting paid by the hour/mileage. It makes you look more professional (and not just a correspondent detailing who motored to who's house for dinner), and it's easier to fill out on a job application.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Take the hourly and mileage.

Ask for $10 an hour at least. That way, you get $50 for your typical story (football or basketball game = 5 hours work). Last time I checked, part timers at McDonald's and Walmart were making $10 an hour in many places, so they should be able to handle the same pay. They should pay better, but I doubt they will. If you can't make $50 a story, then they're ripping you off. You've got to be worth that at least to yourself.

Gas is high. Make sure they pay you 35 cents or more a mile. The government rate is 55 cents a mile, but no newspaper I know of will pay that.

Draft saved Draft deleted