1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I shaved my head today for the first time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jul 4, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Keep something SPF 15 or higher in every vehicle you drive for the rest of your bald life.

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Best. Advice. Ever.

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

And yet you clicked on it and felt compelled to be the seventh person to post. Apparently someone cares, and if you don't, I'm sure your browser has a back button.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Welcome to a world without a comb.
    I've been shaving mine since I was in high school. Just with clippers (no guard), every other Sunday. Tried following up with a razor for the totally bald look a few times, but I hated it. It was way too sensitive and I had to wear a bandana the first few days. Combined with a relatively pale complexion, I looked like a leukemia patient.
    My best advice is, after you're done, have your wife or girlfriend or just any friend check the back of your head to make sure you didn't leave any patches. You don't want to look like a fuzzy soccer ball.

Two great things about shaving your head:
    1) No more brushing. I haven't owned a comb in 15 years.
    2) You save a fortune on hair care products. I still wash my hair every day, since I get a weird form of bedhead. But I buy a new bottle of shampoo, on average, once every 18 months.

5. Rusty Shackleford

Yeah, I see now that my problem is the cancer patient analogy, especially since I have no facial hair. Only the eyebrows save me. I imagine a bandanna would only make this comparison more apt.

And while I'm a pasty individual, I have just enough of a tan that you can see where my hair used to be. Not a fan of that.

I think I may let it grow back out and enjoy having hair before it's gone. I have a bit of a receding hairline, but it's not too bad yet. A couple of years, max, and I won't have the option of letting it grow back without looking like I'm 10 years older than I am.

6. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I shaved my head once as part of a cancer fundraiser. Check that, it was shaved for me in front of 2,000 people. Got a free toque out of the deal.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I lost most of my hair by age 24 and have been shaving off and on since.

After all this time -- I'm now 29 -- I'm still not sure if I like it or not. It feels good and is fairly easy to maintain, but I look a bit like Dr. Evil. Most of the time I just go with the basic close crop cut.

Then again, I wear a ballcap 95 percent of time. And I'd probably do the same if I had hair.

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

That's sort of what I thought. I guess some people just like to bitch about everything.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

More good advice for the shaved head set. Whenever I forget to wear a hat and get sunburn on the head, not only does it hurt like a bitch, but a couple days later it starts to peel. I end up sitting at my desk prrofreading pages and rubbing the dead skin off my head, creating a two-inch snowdrift.
    It's kind of gross, yet strangely habit-forming.

10. Rusty Shackleford

That's a nasty mental image. I never wear ball caps but maybe I will next sunny day. I've always thought that a shampoo with SPF protection could be a big seller to the short-hair/balding crowd. Maybe it already exists -- I've never cared to look.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My hair is already short enough that I find myself wearing hats for protection as much as anything these days.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So today, not long after I typed my thoughts earlier on this thread, I shaved my head. And nicked myself.

Draft saved Draft deleted