1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I seek your movie wisdom!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GimpyScribe, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Great list, Dog.

I would add the first season of Nip/Tuck. I've been stunned at how good it is ... as good as anything, in its way, on HBO. (I did notice a common director on some of its episodes with the Sopranos.) I don't know how the rest of the run has been, but I've been very pleasantly surprised by what I've seen.

Also, there was an old Steven Bochco show called called Murder One, from the point of view of the defense, which ran for a couple of years in the 90s. I really got hooked on that. The first year starred Daniel Benzali (creepy but fascinating), Patricia Clarkson and Stanley Tucci, the second year starred Anthony LaPaglia. Each season covered one murder case and you really get caught up, a la 24.

Never seen Rescue Me or The Shield. I guess I ought to.

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

As you can tell from my sig, you can't go wrong with High Fidelity.

3. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

Mr. Show

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If we're talking documentaries, Capturing the Friedman's was excellent, creepy but fascinating. Also the doc about Al Jazzerra (sp?) was really good, although I can't remember its name at the moment (having some major brain farts this week).

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

control room

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Or Panic Room for that matter.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I'm going to throw another one out there: Babylon 5. Sure, it's science fiction. But there's a very good reason it's consistently listed among the top 50 TV shows of all time. Absolutely brilliant scriptwriting and direction across the board.

The new remake of Battlestar Galactica by the SciFi Channel is pretty good, too, but it had a jump-the-shark moment in the second season finale that makes me hesitate to recommend it.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Freaks and Geeks

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Undeclared is pretty good too.

10. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

The Job was one of my favorite shows -- in part because I love Diane Farr and Hillary Parsons -- and I was pissed when it was canceled right when it was getting good. Still, if it was still on we wouldn't have Rescue Me, so I can't complain.

11. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

The Office - the British version, then rent season 1 of the American version.

And I second the renting of Battlestar Galactica. If you like the first season, continue with the second season. Third season starts in Oct. on SciFi Channel.

12. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

YOU SHOULD TRY ATL WITH T.I.

Draft saved Draft deleted