1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I seek your movie wisdom!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GimpyScribe, Aug 3, 2006.

1. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

My NetFlix queue is disturbingly bare and I seek to fill it. I've seen plenty of ''new releases'' and ''sport'' DVDs. I'm kinda looking for movies/TV shows I might not otherwise ADD to my queue. Movies/shows that are easy to overlook, yet hard to forget.
    I love all genres, so, don't hold back.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Season 1 of the Office.

3. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Event Horizon
    Snatch
    Suicide Kings
    Dead Calm

4. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

Go on IMDB, look up Alfred Hitchcock and rent whatever you haven't seen yet.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i've been getting 'the job' from netflix and really enjoyed it. if you like rescue me, check this out

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The Changeling starring George C. Scott. Spooky as hell.

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I use Netflix primarily for TV shows. Here's what I've watched over the past year that I would highly recommend.

Rescue Me -- possibly the best show on TV

The Shield -- Way the hell up there

The Wire -- Give it three episodes and you'll be hooked until the end

Over There -- only one season, but it was one helluva season. Had it not been aired during the current war, probably would've lasted many more seasons. Great show.

The Sopranos -- if you haven't watched from the beginning, this should probably go to the top of the list.

Six Feet Under -- Season one and two are as good as you'll see.

Alias -- Like Six Feet, the first two seasons are absolutely phenomenal. Unlike SFU, though, Alias drops off a cliff after the second season.

Lost -- I can only imagine how good this show would be if you're watching episodes back to back on DVD.

24 -- You'll lose a ton of sleep, because it'll take more will power than I could muster to not just keep going to the next episode.

Prison Break -- Not sure if it's out on DVD yet, but the first season was underrated.

If you're into comedy, try The Office and My Name is Earl.

9. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

SEASON 4&5 OF SMALLVILL.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

A Simple Plan

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Season 1 of Arrested Development
    Season 1 of Hill Street Blues

If you like documentaries, the Metallica one, Some Kind of Monster, is good, as are Spellbound, One Day in September and the Weather Underground.

12. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

This is what I've been watching DVD wise

"Arrested Development" Seasons 1 and 2 (3 will be out in a couple of weeks). Just a well put together show that's so rich and funny.
    "Undeclared" -- A sitcom from the creator of "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" about college students that aired for one year on Fox. It was funny and it rang really true (the kids all drank and screwed). You'll see a lot of familiar faces -- Adam Sandler did a guest spot.
    "The Office" -- either the British or the American versions. Both are good. The British version is darker and has one of the great comedic characters of all time in the form of David Brent.
    "Entourage"

Draft saved Draft deleted