1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

i scratch your back, you say get lost

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txsportsscribe, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's not our job. A lot of things I do are not my job.

I ask for photos all the time from SIDs. Maybe last minute credentials or parking passes or a interview or a coach to answer questions on line.

It's their job to work with me, but they can be dicks, too. No one has to talk with us or agree to be interviewed or photographed.

So if it's not too far out of my way and I know what they want it for, I will send photos to SIDs or make nice printouts of photos for players or their families if they ask.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Most places I've worked, that wouldn't be our call. They need to deal with the photo editor. We can't just go giving out proprietary content for use in a school's media guide -- it isn't mine to give. It belongs to the newspaper first, the photographer second and the sports department not at all.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, yes, I go through the photo department. I may ask them to print out a photo or to give the OK to send a photo to a school that wants to use it in a media guide or even so a coach can hang it on his wall.

It's photo's call completely.

But I'd rather the SID go through me in case I need to cash in sometime.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

But you and the chimp could shoot better photos than I can. My wife won't let me take photos.

5. Brother if you're questioning my integrity, I must be right on the money.

6. Don't even bother reading the above, this guy is living in the 20s and a complete loser

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, whether you have any integrity or not and whether or not your opinion is valid are two different matters. Though in this case, I was wondering if your lack of the former was interfering with the latter.

I'm sure you have no use for my opinion. It differs from your own, so I doubt you have the capacity to consider it.

8. quite the contrary. Overall, I think your opinion is interesting and you seem worthy. Can't say much for the other jack asses.

Draft saved Draft deleted