1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I remember the time your mom taught us about the concentration camps

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CD Boogie, Dec 5, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

My mother died almost 9 years ago. She was a teacher for a long time and made an impression on a wide swath of people that I could never dream of making. One of her former students reached out to me on FB instant messenger just now. I'm just gonna share the quick back and forth we just had. I erased names and towns but otherwise...

Hello ******, have not spoken to you since we were small chidlren, not even sure if we did then. But as I am getting older, I often think of my early years in ******,, and I think of your Mom Ms. ******, so much. She was one of my favorite teachers, and I miss her. I think of here everytime I am in ****** and drive down **** Blvd. I remeber the time when were learning about the concentration camps, it just seems like yesterday. Truly miss your mom, just wanted to let you know the impression your mom left on all of us, warm memories. Hope you and your family have a great Holiday *****, so glad your mom was my teacher.

Hi ******. You look familiar and your name definitely rings a bell. Can’t tell you how much that means to me to hear you say that about my mom. I occasionally run into her former students and they will share memories. Ran into ****** just last night and he was talking about her. Ya know him? Anyway, hope you’re well and thanks again. I miss my mom a lot. Thanks, ******

***** sounds real familiar, not sure off the top of my head. I know you appreciate that *****, I really loved your mom as a teacher, there are only a few I remember, and it is vague in my mind. But I remember the exact tone of your mom's voice, the way she spoke, her patience. I had learning disabilities in school and your mom had a very calminig way about her, she almost felt like family to me. I do not know you that well either, but I always knew you were a good kid. You take care, have the warmest of Holidays with your family, and just know what I loveing impression your mom left on so many, for me to contact you, being 49 years old, she really left one. Bless her heart. Take care
    One of those things that just leaves you so sad and yet so happy. I'm practically in fucking tears. (An aside, the bit about the concentration camps kind of threw me.)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Sea Bass, Liut, Vombatus and 10 others like this.
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That is very nice.

Liut and CD Boogie like this.
  3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I often only hope that I'll leave some kind of a good impression on somebody.

There isn't much else to hope for for after we're gone.

Liut and CD Boogie like this.
  4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

@ CD Boogie, that's the kind of thing you can't buy for Christmas. What a great legacy.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Great story, CD. Thanks for sharing that.

My dad taught high school for about 40 years. A year or so ago my mom sent me a link from the Orange County Register -- it was a feature story on a local filmmaker. I think he had just finished a documentary or something. He talked about how his family life fell apart when he was in high school. His film teacher recognized that he was struggling and encouraged his interest in movies, giving him full access to his absurdly large film library and guiding him through stuff he would like. He said it was huge in getting him through a hard time and sparking a lifelong interest in film. The teacher was my dad.

When you're a teacher's kid you never really know what they're like or how they're viewed by students. It's great to hear the impact they've had on people.

justgladtobehere, Liut and CD Boogie like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted