1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I reached the finish line

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ChrisLong, Jul 1, 2014.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone who sent well-wishes here and in personal messages. It means a lot.
    Vers, work on your spelling and keep in touch.
    -- Chris

2. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

That was really a good read. Reading that I think of the hook in the Grateful Dead's song "Truckin" -

What a long strange trip it's been

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Good read. Congrats, Chris Long.

Versatile tripled-downed on being a royal jerk. Too bad.

Chris' tale of impulsive, furniture-moving managers is one of the things I've come to hate about this business. Office slugs who have no other way of justifying themselves, in too many cases, jerk people around without regard for their preferences. I'm not saying beats/roles should never be changed, but there ought to be collaboration with the staffers whose lives are arranged around their duty. To go from a pro beat to second-shift deskwork is an immense change to throw at a worker and the worker's family, for instance. Boss and his/her world doesn't change one bit. (I'm getting riled up just writing this, thinking about what dicks those people can be when jerking the chains of staffers who have bust their asses in a role they've come to enjoy.) Many of us know people who were given crappy duty with the intent of getting them to quit, because the boss didn't have the class (or company practice embraced this sort of bullshit) to simply terminate and make the staffer eligible for severance or unemployment benefits.

I too met my spouse due to a shift in duties, from one I took pride in to one I wanted no part of. I give credit for that to me and my spouse, not to the petty little fuckwad who decided to define himself by throwing into tumult other people's careers and lives. (That person did come to an ugly end at that particular publication, a big sweet smooch for karma.)

Can only think of one or two things I despise as much in newsrooms. Maybe click counts will become someone's salvation this way, like sales figures we can tout to measure our competency. Till then, everything is subjective and one middle-manager's whim is as valid as the next one's inspired use of manpower.

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

Very well said, Joe.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Managers like that shouldn't be given any notice when one does end up quitting. They don't deserve it.

6. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

That is just fantastic.

You have my thanks.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And the masses are grateful he's grateful.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I certainly am. I am swelling with pride for having enlightened him.

9. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Phenomenal.

Just phenomenal.

You guys are great.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

We aim to please!

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's utterly-appropriate payback.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Willy Loman never bragged that he reached the finish line.

Draft saved Draft deleted