1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I reached the finish line

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ChrisLong, Jul 1, 2014.

1. X-Acto

X-Acto Guest

I signed up just to say best of luck with whatever is next Chris and thanks for sharing your memories. For somebody whose career paralleled yours in a lot of ways, it was quite moving.

2. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I envy you. When I was laid off a few years back I should have gotten out. Took the first job that offered and have been miserable ever since. It's not the fault of the folks I work with or for, I would simply rather be unemployed than walk into this office one more day.

Wish the company would force my hand with another lay off (don't want to be fired, though).

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Congrats on a long and bountiful career...I find we're paid as much in memories built than anything else. :)

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Right on. My memory meter has been off the charts for the past few weeks.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Truth. And congrats and best of luck Chris. Hope some of your old colleagues do see this so you can keep in touch.

6. Congrats on your retirement, Chris. I admire the career you built, wish I could say the same of my former career, but it was mostly grinding away on small papers, preps, and college sports in rural areas. Best wishes.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Chris. I hope I go out with as much class as that.

And ...

... you know, sometimes the better option is to just say you were wrong rather than insist douchey was the way to go.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Congrats, Chris! Sounds like a great career.

9. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Chris Long's bio and the reaction to it spotlight the strangeness at the base of sports journalism (or really, any kind of journalism).

It's a career spent watching other people do interesting things, and then producing reports (words, still photos, video, etc.) on what those people accomplished.

Recognition is largely based on who journalists got to watch and/or have conversations with. If someone happened to have the opportunity to watch people who happened to be paid more, and/or who happened to be more interesting, we say "Wow, that's a heck of a career!"

There's a certain level of cognitive dissonance to that.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Umm OK. Don't think it's about them being paid more/more interesting. It's about witnessing and chronicling history.

11. LouGrant1995

LouGrant1995 New Member

Chris, congratulations on a long and successful career and best wishes in the future. Appreciated the post and enjoyed reading it.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Really enjoyed reading that. Good luck, Chris.

Draft saved Draft deleted