1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I reached the finish line

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ChrisLong, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Chris, while we've never met, you have my complete respect and admiration for having such a dedicated, terrific career.

Please don't let one person affect your thoughts on you sharing your story with the rest of us. Having 36 years in myself, I very much enjoyed -- and related to -- your words.

I wish you nothing but continued success and enjoyment in the next phase of your life and, please, come back and post as often as you'd like.

You're among friends here, Chris.

Thank you for sharing...

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Oh, please. First of all, when have we not gotten along, generally speaking, before this thread? Second, which post was the one screaming look-at-me in this thread? Third, in this board's heyday, there were five times as many dickish posts.

I'll cop to being an asshole any day, but let's be honest: The OP was naval-gazing bullshit. Almost all of us could write some form of career obituary like that. And most don't.

My comment was short and snarky, as most message board posts should be. It wasn't meant to deride the OP on what sounds like a solid career. It was a comment on his post, which was unquestionably wordy. Have we no standards for content quality anymore?

Congrats on hanging it up, ChrisLong. Enjoy what's ahead. I'll back off your thread.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Fuck off.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Then stay off the thread. It's not mandatory reading. It isn't like the thread title is deceptive, either.

Congratulations, Chris

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

This is still, barely, a community board for sports journalists.

So there is always a place here for sharing your thoughts when you hang it up.

Happy trails, Chris. And thanks for the stories.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

False. Most of us, myself included, could barely write half of that without lying our asses off.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Content quality? On a message board?

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It's one thing to be an asshole, it's another to shit on someone else's accomplishments.

Again, congrats Chris. The majority of us are very happy for you.

9. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Chris, for having such an eventful, exciting career and being able to end it on your terms.

I've always said that those of us who make it through 40 or more years in this business should be proud and grateful if we're able to retire in good physical and mental health. Looks like you've accomplished that.

10. TarHeelMan

TarHeelMan Member

Yes, congrats on a great career...enjoy retirement!
    Guy leaves the business after a long career and there is negativity from a few a-holes!

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

44 years? What took you so long to wake up and get out of the business?

/Vers's alternate comment.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Well, I was good at it and they kept paying me.

Draft saved Draft deleted