1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I quit my job. Now what?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pallister, May 9, 2008.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Good luck to both you guys! I didn't even know Angola! was leaving.

We won't have Texas Permian Basin to kick around anymore :(

2. lono

lono Active Member

BLOGS!

3. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

Now what? Get fucking hammered. Immediately.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

He meant what should he do differently.

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I did something similar recently, but obviously this kind of thing is near impossible to do when you have a family to support. But I'm 20 years old, was sick of working incredibly dull dead-end jobs (movie theater, gym, grocery) after graduating high school and even gave up a year-long part-time stint with a huge local newspaper. So I quit my jobs, packed up my bags and moved on a whim, with some money in the bank to get me by for a bit. Now? I'm making triple the money I was making by working with an independent contractor, particularly on those enormous houses in Palm Beach. I work my ass off, but it's well worth it. I'm having fun.

I say, especially if you're single...go for it. Find excitement and keep making changes until you're happy again. Life's too short.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Nicely played.

Congrats, Pallister. Time is precious. Life is precious. Staying in a job too long out of fear or habit is a walking death. People who have it in them to make this sort of bold move, by nature, are people who land on their feet big-time. I believe that, yes I do.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

pallister, I'm pretty sure you're not my fave poster... I can't remember why... maybe it's politics??

Anyhoo... That aside, I wanted to wish you a big CONGRATS. I think it's great. You broke the rules. Don't regret it.

8. Pall,

Did you quit because of that particular job, or are you tired of journalism altogether?

9. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I feel your pain pally. I quit my journo job in November and have been fighting to find regular employment ever since. I'm freelancing at the local paper now and might get in as an SE at a local paper soon, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

WB,

My current job was the deciding factor. I tried the news thing for a while, but, and this is no offense to those on the board who work news, yourself included, but it bored the shit out of me. I've been looking around a little bit for sports opportunities. For me, sports provides the consistent creative outlet that I enjoyed about this business way back when. On the other hand, now that I have the opportunity, I need to see what else is out there. I have to think about my future in the sense that if the newspaper biz continues down its current path, my 401K is not going to prevent me from working until the day I die. Hopefully that makes sense.

And Luggie, I'm the likable Republican. As much as someone can be around here. :)

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You're also one of two White Sox fans I know that I can stand. Fucking South Sider.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'M the likable Republican because I don't talk politics. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted