1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I quit my job. Now what?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pallister, May 9, 2008.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Thanks, dools.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Can your newfound unemployment be commemorated with a tattoo?

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Anything can be commemorated with a tattoo. Normally, a tattoo would be a luxury for someone who's soon to be unemployed. But luckily, I get a discount. :)

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Did this three years ago. Was a very impulsive move. Thankfully, it turned into a job at a decent place (a spot I shouldn't have left when I did), and I got a cool freelance gig that I wouldn't have been able to take were I still employed full-time.

Good luck.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

www.mediabistro.com. Tons of jobs on there in all kinds of media/PR/marketing ways.

Oh, and you're a looser. That's all.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm a looser? You already gave me that link. Looser.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

[​IMG]

Just relax.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well apparently you didn't use it. So who's the looser?

Hope your dogs don't become cannibalistic.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Fuck. Best of luck, pallister.

Obviously I'm guessing, but my suspicion is you've done the right thing. The list of dumb mistakes I've made in my life is a mile long, but I've never, ever quit a job too soon. Quit a job too late- yes, though I think I've learned my lesson there.

I know of an intriguing opening in Cowshitistan.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Consider going into nursing or home health care. It's the hottest profession out there. You seem like the nurturing, healing type.... :D

Don't rule out prostitution too quickly either.

And, well, just in case, you may want to start working up a few of these:

[​IMG]

11. Msaint

Msaint Member

Exactly. That was my thought upon reading: why make a bold, admirable (to me, anyway, albeit risky) move like quitting if you're just going to make getting another newspaper job your primary focus? I once outright quit a job at an advertising agency -- no new source of income lined up; granted I was married, yes, but no kids yet -- to do some other writing that I'd always wanted to do, and, for what it's worth, would have been sorely disappointed in myself if I'd taken that brave leap but then just fallen back on what was safe and "known."

That said, congrats on taking that leap. Really hope it works out for you.

12. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I did the same thing about three years ago. Best decision of my life.

Just remember when times are tough: You will find another job, the only question is where.

I would freelance everywhere and anywhere you can think of. Don't worry about how much they're paying for right now. Look for local magazines, newsletters and specialty publications like local business publications. Get some nonsports stuff on your resume anyway you can.

And this is great advice:

You're not unemployed. Your new job is finding a new job.

Draft saved Draft deleted