1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I question the sanity of Rolling Stone readers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Wasn't there another band that did that first? That really took blues and turned it into rock 'n' roll and did it in a more sincere, authentic way than anyone had ever done it before? Young chaps from England, I think. Damn, who were they ...

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've always considered myself to be a huge Stones fan, but they can't touch Zeppelin.

Zeppelin broke up 30 years ago and they have had about as many new hits as the Stones have during that time. :D

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

The New Yardbirds?

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Thanks to middle school and high school dances.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Um . . . what?

[​IMG]

As for their Blues influence, Zeppelin stole . . . errrr . . . received theirs from the original bluesmen. They were never out to imitate what the Stones did. They were trying to put their own spin on the original influences. If you think the Stones were the only English youngsters trying to put their own spin on the old blues . . . you are mistaken.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Mizzougrad96

Hell, the 80s were saturated with bands trying to sound as much like Zeppelin as possible. Hell, David Coverdale has had a pretty damn good career trying to imitate Robert Plant.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Better band? Stones. Hands down.
    More influential? Zeppelin. Unfortunately.

8. Mizzougrad96

I'd be curious to see who has sold more albums in the last decade, the Rolling Stones or Zeppelin, which would be interesting since the Stones have put out new albums during that time, while Zeppelin has not.

My money would be on Zeppelin.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Both the Stones and Zeppelin are blues-based rock bands. Zeppelin just took it to another level. As someone mentioned previously, the Stones have been making the same album for decades. Compared to Zeppelin, they're derivative.

And Waylon would like all Zeppelin fans to turn down that damn racket and get off his lawn.

10. Thank God for Zeppelin. Without them singing about dwarves and mystics and "Lord of the Rings"-type garbage we wouldn't have had Rush or Dungeons & Dragons.

Zeppelin leads the world in posters sold to seventh-graders, many of who apparently subscribe to Rolling Stone.

The Rolling Stones are the most influential band of all time other than the Beatles.

I'll take the latter any day of the week.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I can't listen to a Jack White song, which are pretty awesome, without thinking Zeppelin (see: Doorbell, Blue Orchid)

12. Mizzougrad96

Go on a college campus and tell me which band is listened to more.

I guarantee you it's Zeppelin and it's not close.

Draft saved Draft deleted