1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I pledge allegiance...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

People pick a state for political office. Might as well pick one to vote in.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Congrats. Now you can write "favorite" and "check"

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

You do have to live, or establish residency in a state so you can vote there.
    You do not have to be a property owner, that kinda went away since it was racist and sexist.
    You did have to own property at one time, but that was back in the enlightened era when black people were counted as three-fifths of a human being.
    The good ol' days, truly the Founders were inspired by God when they came up with that one.

4. WSKY

WSKY Member

Where's Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf when you need him.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yeah, I think I heard you folks don't have ketchup chips. You're missing out. :)

What about salt-and-vinegar chips? Do you have those? If not I guess I'd better move to a border city so I can keep stocked up on the good stuff.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Regarding the voting issue, as a citizen living outside the U.S. I should be able to vote in the state where I last held residency. Since I've never lived in the States, I can try to register in a state where my parents resided. That would be Washington.

But my dad only lived there for a few months and never registered to vote there himself. I feel more of a connection to Michigan and Massachusetts since that's where my grandfathers were born, lived most of their lives and died. So I'm going to look at those states.

It may turn out that they both reject me from registering to vote on a local or state level, but as far as I'm aware I'll still be able to register for federal elections. The staff at the consulate couldn't answer any of these questions with any certainty yesterday when I was there.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hey, we still have business to take care of here:

[​IMG]

I'm taking away your S.W. Ontario citizenship if you don't recognize the town.

Congrats, man.

Massachusetts and Michigan are good hockey states (well, not the Bruins so much) so you'll feel at home. :)

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Gimme a tough one, JR. That's Fergus, home of the old Thistles lacrosse team.

Maybe I'll try New York. I have a friend whose uncle is the men's hockey coach at Cornell.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Why don't you put your voter registration up for auction on eBay?

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Holy shit! That's genius! ;D

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Democrat. ;D

12. Ron --
    If that Blackwell guy in Ohio puts in a bid, grab it.

Draft saved Draft deleted