1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I pledge allegiance...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

...to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

That was by heart and I hope it's correct, because as of today, I am a United States citizen! :D

Actually, I've been a citizen since birth, just like I figured. I just had to get it affirmed at the U.S. Consulate in Toronto and I did that this afternoon. Now I'm just awaiting my passport and Social Security card which should be in the mail sometime in the next couple of weeks.

I still have to decide which state I'm going to register to vote in, plus I have to mail a letter to Selective Service explaining why I didn't register between the ages of 18 and 26. :-\

I want to reassure my fellow Canadians that I am not about to abandon our home and native land. All this does is guarantee that I'll be able to come and go across the U.S. border as I please and allow me to live and work in the States without restrictions if I ever decide to do so. It's always nice to have options, and I just increased mine tenfold, if not more.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Congrats, hoser my fellow American.

3. pittsburgie

pittsburgie Member

now you can be like other Americans and not exercise those rights or take them for granted...

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Thank you.

And I won't ignore my rights and responsibilities as an American. Since turning 18 I've voted in every municipal, provincial and federal election here in Canada and I plan to take part in every U.S. election in which I'm entitled to vote -- that is, once I decide on a state (and that state accepts me as a voter).

5. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Congratulations. And please vote. :)

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Don't let people bully you.
    You don't have to vote if you don't want to.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In class, a mob surrounds Uter as Nelson pulls his suspenders.

Nelson: Hey, German boy. Go back to Germania!
    [everyone laughs]
    Uter: I do not deserve this. I have come here legally as an
    exchange student!
    Skinner: Young man, the only thing we exchanged for you is our national
    dignity.
    [everyone laughs]

Willie: [threatens children] You want to pick on immigrants? Then
    pick on Willie!
    Skinner: Willie, please. The students want to pick on someone their
    own size.

Proctor: All right, here's your last question. What was the cause of
    the Civil War?
    Apu: Actually, there were numerous causes. Aside from the obvious
    schism between the abolitionists and the anti-abolitionists,
    there were economic factors, both domestic and inter--
    Proctor: Wait, wait... just say slavery.
    Apu: Slavery it is, sir.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

We'll miss you down at the Tim Hortons. :'(

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Oh, I'll still go to Horny Tims. But you won't see me at Crappy Tire, because I don't shop there. ;D

10. Welcome Mr. Factor --
    Now, repeat after me:
    "We hold thse truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; that to secure these rights governments are instituted among men deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.."
    Figure out the rest yourself.
    And get me a beer, newbie.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Hey, I'm far from new. Now that it's after midnight where I live, I've been a citizen for 36 years, five months and nine days.

So if you're younger than that, you guys can get me a beer (just not an American one). ;D

12. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

You can't just pick a state, can you? Don't you have to live there or own property there or something to establish your connection to the area? That doesn't seem right that you could just pick any state, willy-nilly, and be allowed to vote there.

Draft saved Draft deleted