1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I only caught the last 2 questions...SAS and Scoop...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jason_whitlock, Jul 25, 2006.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I hold you directly responsible for the only few minutes of "Quite Frankly" I have ever watched in my life. :mad: I wasn't even planning to watch, but saw it as I flipped channels. Five seconds later, they started the interview.

* Whitlock didn't get mentioned, directly or indirectly. As noted, they spent a lot of time glossing one another. Scoop tried to give some credit to Norman Chad for getting the ball rolling on the topic. Also mentioned in passing that they usually hear about the trouble newspapers have finding interested minority candidates. They went on their high horse about how it was their duty to find more candidates, but SAS also threw in the jab that all of these white SEs who have been around for 15-20 years should know some minorities too.

* One of them (maybe SAS, not certain) opined that the reason many black athletes hate the media is because they know there are so few minority journalists. The other quickly agreed.

* Scoop says one of the barriers to entry for minorities is that candidates are expected to be "just as good" as the Scoops and Steven A. Smiths out there, which SAS naturally agreed was damn-near impossible.

* At the end of the interview, SAS asks what the reaction has been to "The 1.3% principle." (That apparently refers to the article, not how much my IQ went down by seeing this, or the audience share cubed.) Saith Scoop: "It's been nothing but love, both black and white." He then went on to talk about all the white sports journalists who thanked him for speaking out. Either he made that up, or there's a parallel universe of SportsJournalists.com where elementary-school logic, below-average writing and appearing on camera like a disheveled refugee from a low-rent bachelor party are prized qualities.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I, on the other hand, only caught the first two questions.
    When Scoop started talking about how African American journalists were held to a higher standard, that editors expected someone from that pool of applicants to be as talented as others from that pool who already were or had been on staff -- Scoop cited himself as an example -- I changed the channel.
    If you only have to be as good as Scoop, there's no barrier to entry whatsoever.

3. Tiger16

Tiger16 Member

community access television...excellent, excellent call

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

That's pretty much what SAS does, isn't it?

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Athletes hate the media because there are so many white men invovled?
    I guess Scoop and SAS have forgotten there are some white men who play. And coach.
    And who really, really, really hate the media.
    Bill Parcells is not a brother.
    Nor Joe Paterno.
    Nor Randy Johnson.
    And all of that ignores what's really at the heart of what Scoop apparently said: he's saying, isn't he, that black athletes are patently racist.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have a friend at ESPN who said that Stephen A almost never gets the opening monologue right on the first try and that sometimes it takes four or five times before they get the one they run... I'm sure it's that way on a lot of shows, but I still find that funny as shit...

7. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

I'd like the know breakdown of black WRITERS -- online, the magazine -- not on-air talent working for ESPN. And the editors.

8. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Community access shows have bigger audiences.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

let's see ... when they are young, black athletes (not to mention their mamas) clamor for all the attention they can get. And they get it. I'd posit that nowhere in the media are blacks protrayed more positively than in sports. And yet somehow they develop a hate for the media, when we've given them what they want -- their name and face in the paper. And then when they screw up their lives, it's somehow our fault, and, if we are to believe Scoop, it's our fault because the owners of our companies are white. Idiot.

And Jayson, you give these clowns credibility by paying atttention to them. Go back to working your corners.

10. It really was too painful to watch. Lots of handjobs going around, not much problem solving.

Draft saved Draft deleted