1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I object to the term men's basketball ... discuss

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Wimmyn can't play basketball as good as men. Every time I say it, my dick swells.

There, I said it again.

Damn, I'm gonna have to buy some bigger underwear.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

So, does the South Carolina women's hoops team go by "Lady Cocks"?

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

When I worked in Johnson County, Ind., the Greenwood HS girls' teams went by the Lady Woodmen, which made them sound like lumberjacks in drag. Although what was the alternative -- Woodwomen?

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Laramie (Wyo.) High School has the Lady Plainsmen. Across the border in Colorado, there's a juco that skips the nonsense and calls their women's teams the Plainswomen.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think Stephen F. Austin's women's teams are the Lumberjills.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

What is wrong with Lady? Of all the dumb things for so-called feminists to whine about, this is the dumbest.

The use of Lady created an identity for the women's teams and allows them to have their own seperate marketing and sponsorship deals.

Pat Summit has said repeatedly when the Christine Brennan's of the world try to badger her about her stance - the Lady Vols trademark is one of the most famous in sports, it is who we are - we sell a lot of t-shirts, hats, shorts and everything else with that trademark and make money for our program as a result.

The people trying to make it into a feminist issue are short-sighted and frankly, fighting the wrong battle. The use of the word Lady EMPOWERS the teams to their own entity.

When you say Tar Heels -- you think men's basketball team. When you say Buckeyes - you think football. When you say Hurricanes you think of football. When you say Vols, you think of football team.

When you say Lady Vols, there is no question what team you are talking about.

It is not a sexist or bad thing in any way shape or form.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If we're getting into stupid girls/women's sports nicknames, the all-timer to me is the Vicksburg (Miss.) High School Missy Gators.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Name one other program in the country that has recognition in the way the Lady Vols do. Not even UConn. And Tennessee earned its way to recognition with the success of the program. Just calling them the Vols wouldn't take anything away from that.

The Lady thing, however, separates the women's teams as something less. Just my opinion. Obviously, we're not going to agree on this one.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Paul Blazer High School, Ashland, Ky. ...

Boys teams: Tomcats
    Girls teams: Kittens

:-\

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The Lady Techsters.

And if UConn was the Lady Huskies - they'd market and sell a helluva lot more gear and merchandise that is unique to their program (and thus helps increase revenue for their program) than not.

And as it is - when you say Huskies, most people think of the mens teams, not that women's team.

It doesn't make them something less - it gives them their own identity.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Techsters would work just as well for Louisiana Tech, especially since the men's team have an entirely different nickname.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Calling women's sports teams "ladies" is just slightly less offensive than "girls".

Draft saved Draft deleted