1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I object to the term men's basketball ... discuss

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Nov 18, 2009.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I think there is basketball, and then there is women's basketball. Two different sports.

Just always bugs me this time of year when I start to see political correctness forcing people to use the term "men's basketball."

Anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest. :)

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Also, if a woman throws a punch in a women's basketball game, she should be punished more severely than if a man threw a punch in a basketball game. Because they are two different sports.

/sexistcrossthread

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

The way women play is more in line with the way the game was originally played, so technically it should be considered "basketball" while the men's game should be called "hoopin' it up" or something.

(this coming from someone who loathes the game with every fiber of my being - so what do I know)

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

There should not be women's basketball. That settles that. And you can send your hate mail to Mustangj17...

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Men's basketball and women's basketball. How it was, how it should be.

I do, however, object to the term "Lady" in front of any women's (or high school) sports teams. When someone asks whether you're a Republican or Democrat, no woman would ever respond, "I'm a Lady Democrat," or, "I'm a Lady Republican." Likewise, if you're an Eagle, you're an Eagle, period.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed on all points, Oz. I absolutely HATE the use of Lady before the team name on any level. The sad part is too many of the women in the sport don't mind it. If I remember correctly, Pat Summit insists upon Lady Vols.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I do not like "Lady" either, and I have no problem watching women's basketball. It's also much better in person. No, that is not a sexist comment. I just think the slower pace allows you to see so much more of what is going on in person.

I also do not like ESPN running women's scores the same color as men's scores on the scroll at the bottom of the screen.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Unless the men's nickname and the women's nickname have nothing to do with each other. One example: Louisiana Tech's Bulldogs and Lady Techsters.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Rick, I would argue you don't need a crossthread for this to be sexist.

And fuckall do I hate feminism. But jeebus homeboy, BB. Be serious.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Real basketball and women's basketball. ("Sorry ladies," he said as he ducked for cover.)

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Women's basketball and "Holy shit, do any of these And 1-wannebe douchebags understand the concept of fundamentals?"

12. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I'm actually a big women's basketball fan having grown up in Knoxville, but I don't mind labeling it just college basketball for the men, and women's college basketball for women. I'm also not crazy about the "Lady" before a team name, however unless it's Tennessee, who with all the success Pat Summitt has cultivated there should be able to be called whatever the hell they want.

Draft saved Draft deleted