1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need your help again!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kuballer2369, Feb 2, 2010.

1. kuballer2369

kuballer2369 New Member

So my first time covering an event went okay, thanks to you guys. But I just found out that I have to cover regional wrestling this Saturday and I think i am way over my head. I have never been to a wrestling match or even seen one. The only wrestling ive ever seen is the old WWF stuff, which I think doesn't help me much lol.

So any advice on covering wrestling?

As always, thank you in advance!

2. Before you start firing offf questions to the wrestlers, comment on their package. They appreciate it and it helps break the tension.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

There's some good advice here:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/75817/

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Make a call to the school and get an estimate when the finals may start. Realize it is only an estimate and will likely be running late.

Plan on getting there an hour before the finals are scheduled to start. That way you can get interviews of any locals who didn't make the finals if you need that.

Even more important than in basketball, don't do much, if any, play by play. Mention who beat who and and ask what helped them get the win, etc.
    Maybe read some of the past wrestling articles this season to help get a little background on some of the wrestlers.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would keep it simple for your first outing.

Keep your eyes open but plan to focus on which team wins the region. Go heavy on quotes and reaction.

Depending on your paper and all, you might want to list and mention how many wrestlers from local school advanced.

Do homework and go in with rankings and such so that if there is a big upset, you know. (For example, if the 32-0 No. 1 ranked wrestler at 160 loses to someone who isn't ranked).

You don't really have to know all the moves and all that, but you should be familiar with the scoring.

Oh, and don't go and camp out all day. Figure out when the finals are expected to start and get there for that -- probably an hour or two in advance to get situated and acclimated.

Be aware that times for finals are tricky. They could be running early or late. If the coach says they expect them to start at 5 and you get there at 5, the whole thing could be over. Or it could be hours away.

Regionals should be on time pretty much, since they know how many teams/wrestlers to expect, unlike some in-season tournaments.

6. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Don't sit next to the little garbage can by the scoring table...late in a championship tournament this is not a spot you want to be near :)

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

If you've never been, contact the coach you'll be dealing with and explain that you're a noob. Be honest and say you don't know anything, and would like to just talk with him or possibly visit a practice Thursday or Friday (if you have time) to ask a couple of questions.

Then, go early to the match and watch. Maybe find a parent who can explain things to you (without being a dick and asking why their kid isn't on A-1 all the time). Ask the coach who is on a streak, who is rebounding from an injury, etc. Find a story line and then look for others during the match. Don't focus on every little move the guys make.

Heed flexmaster33's advice. Avoid the Can o' Vileness.

Look at the other thread about this same question and then go have fun. Wrestling's cool.

8. Hank_Scorpio

The team dual meets can be fun, but the individual tournaments can drag on and on. Which one are you covering, kballer?

Now that I think about it, maybe all states don't have two tournaments.

Here, we have a team dual state tournament, where teams wrestle a regular dual meet and advance from there (much like basketball tournaments). Those are usually a weekday event.

Then, there is an individual tournament, usually on the weekend. It's been awhile, but I believe the top seven advance in each weight class there.

9. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

If you remember nothing else from this thread... remember this. You'll thank us later ... :D

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

The "call the coach before hand" stuff is probably good advice, and I could type here and pretend that like I'd do it myself ... but I wouldn't. Hunt around on the net some. You can usually find rankings for your state. Be aware of any returning state champs or high placers tha twil lbe wrestling there. If you're in Kansas, you can find last year's brackets on the KSHSAA site, I think.

How you cover the thing will depend a lot on who you're writing for. A big-ish regional paper that will have an interest in the winning team no matter which team it is, then obviously focus on the winning team and the kids from that team that qualify for state. Open with the most exciting match that team had, or maybe a match really late in the tournament that ensured it would have enough points to win. Again, be sure to mention any defending state champs that punched their tickets back to the state meet.

If you're covering for a smaller paper with only a one or two or three teams you're interested in, focus on the kids that make state. Obviously any kid that would win his classification would be a big story, but you might find your best stuff in the consolation bracket. In Kansas, the top four finishers at regionals make it, so that match to get to the consolation finals will have a shitload of drama. For many of those kids, that will be their state championship match right there.

It's not hard to figure out the basics of the sport. Ask anyone for help: coaches, even the kids. I've said plenty of times "Hey man, sorry, I played basketball in school ... what move did you throw there?" or something. Be honest that you don't know what's going on. It will take a good coach or parent about 30 seconds to outline the basic stuff to you.

And the advice about just trying to slip in at the end and catch the finals, I think that's bad advice. You'll miss those consolation matches. I agree, usually they are boring as shit, but l like said, at the regional tournament with a trip to state on the line they can be high drama -- even more so than the championship matches. If the thing starts at 9, I'd show up about noon. It will probably run until three or four. That will give you some time to see the same kids wrestle maybe twice in the winner's bracket and give you some time to get up to speed on what the hell's going on and how the scoring works.

And take a book. And cash for nachos. It's a hell of a lot better to get there early and veg out in the stands with one eye on the boring early-tourney action than it is to show up midway through the finals round without a clue what's going on.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Another reason to call the school/athletic director early. Find out how they are going to distribute results.

They may have some boards with brackets posted just outside the gym. But that is hell to try to write everything down.

Especially being a regional, there should be some sort of results packet. That could come in very handy.

You also probably won't be the only newspaper there, so maybe you can find another reporter who can answer some questions.

12. Hank_Scorpio

I started to think of some of the terminology that is used in wrestling. It's been awhile, so I'm sure I'll forget some, but it's a start.

During a match: watch the ref, along with the match. He'll signal points award based on the action.
    There's two-point takedown, two-point reversal, four points nearfall, etc.

In the results:
    p. = obviously means pinfall,
    d. = decision
    m.d. = major decision (which is a win by a certain amount of points, I believe its 10).
    tech. fall = technical fall (Like m.d., but wider margin. Believe it's 15).
    DQ = disqualified
    inj. def. = injury default (win because the opponent couldn't continue).

I might be missing one or two, but that's a basic primer.

Draft saved Draft deleted