1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need the insight of experienced journalists ... please help.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Millionaire, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Millionaire, if I didn't know any better I would think you have either been stalking me or we've been talking about this same situation for a long time now.

I'm in almost the same position. I graduate in May. I will have been at my paper (40,000 daily) for five years in August. I've covered state championships, big-time college games, professional baseball, NFL games and was promoted to full-time a year before I graduated from college at a paper that does not hire full-time employees unless they have a degree. I've redesigned and paginated two massive football sections pretty much by myself. I turned down going to a bigger school with a much better journalism program to stay home and work for this paper. I love it. I love writing. I love my job. I love knowing that what I write and design is being read by thousands of people every day.

I know it sounds like I'm producing my resume, but every day it seems like, I question if what I'm doing is the right thing. I love where I work, but the reality is that I still live at home. If I want to move out and still work where I am, I'm going to have to get a roommate. I'm getting married in January, and if I'm still at the same place, she will have to work and go to school and I'll have to get another job, I'm sure. I don't want that for me or my family, and I pray to God every day He'll give me an opportunity at a bigger place with better money. I have connections. I know some of the right people. I have good references, but I know, just like you, what there is in this business right now.

Don't turn your back on the biz until you feel it's absolutely necessary. I hope for yours and my sakes that isn't for a long time, if at all. Believe me, if I had the power, there are people at my shop I'd love to boot to get you a job.

Good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted