1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need some sj.com mojo...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Dec 23, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

tomas, all you need is 14 BYU alums over here and 17 UCLA alums across the river, and you've got enough reason to take enough time to get the box.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

shottie - i'm not saying not to run the box. all i was saying was if the box wasn't showing up around deadline in october, nobody would be clamoring for it.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I know. But I think you're missing my point, preachy as it is. (See, I know when I'm being preachy.)

No, it's not going to be any skin off anyone's nose if the game ends at 12:15 and Editor A doesn't bust balls to get the box because final's off the floor at 12:35. But if the same decision's made on 15 such boxscores ... people will notice over time how that newspaper doesn't get the late games in. The guy in the barber's chair doesn't understand a lot about our business, but he will jump on that.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But I'd rather have an excuse to be able to tell the readers --- "Sorry, it came in after deadline..." --- than have them see our box score doesn't match the other ones they've seen because we took it from some other site and so obviously the Buttfuck Bugle doesn't care about doing things right.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'll buy the hell out of that thought process. i think you're correct and will offer no argument.

i think i was going somewhere else by saying i think we, as in the folks who put items in sports sections, put way too much emphasis on these bullshit bowl games. i've watched some papers dedicate 20 inches to a las vegas bowl type of game and the closest school was 2,000 miles from the printing press.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And that, too, is a really good point. Like I said earlier, that's why I only do it with NFL.com ... straight from the horse's mouth.

And it's quick as hell ... have the scoring summary done with two minutes left, fill in one team's individual stats while the other team runs the clock out, then fill in the other indy stats and the team stats as soon as time of possession adds up to 60 minutes on the NFL.com play-by-play.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I guess. We don't take boxes from anywhere else (short of like state college hoops) than AP just because I've seen some major discrepancies. If the nfl.com site is dead on, then that's good to know.

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Honestly, if all you had from the box was the score by quarters, that would satisfy many, many gamblers, er, I mean folks.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

But gambling on sports is illegal!

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Believe me, I wasn't going to blow deadline for it. But our deadline is midnight CST. Game ended around 10:45, I think. I sent my last page, except for agate, around 11. Gave the paginator agate around 10:45, maybe. We got in the game capsule inside and a score on the front page. Good enough for me.
    So, basically, I tell the paginator to leave a box score-sized hole and we'll fill it when it moves. If he's done before the box moves, I give it five minutes if it's still early (like 11:20 or so). By the time he was done, it wasn't early and the box still hadn't moved. It was around 11:40 and we had to then do some rearranging. Like I said in another post, I was more frustrated with the paginator by the end of the whole thing than with the AP for not moving the box. But it does amaze me that they can move four versions of the game story before they moved the box.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

batman, i was not busting your balls. i promise.

Draft saved Draft deleted