1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need some sj.com mojo...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Dec 23, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And we liked it that way.

Coming up on first edition last night, our agate man had one of the phoners type in the New Mexico box off a Web site rather than miss an edition for AP.

Generally, I only do that with late NFL boxes, because I know NFL.com is always dead solid perfect with its numbers. And the only thing that I don't have 90 seconds after the game is the attendance, which shows up 20 minutes later with the gamebook.

2. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

That's a gritty phoner.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Remember those days?
    Now, at the beginning of the night: We look at eachother and say if both teams run and they play with a running clock there is an outside chance we can get in the summary.

4. fishwrapper

You ever sleep?

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Seriously, I don't think the phones will be ringing off the hook because you didn't have the Las Vegas Bowl box score in the paper.
    Wanting to be thorough is one thing, obsessing over a minor bowl game is unnecessary.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Hey, I'm out the door with final edition. But I can't always depend on AP to get me everything I can get in for final edition, either.

Rationalization. :) It's just one way you give a little more than the next guy.

7. fishwrapper

And there is nothing ever wrong with that.

8. Try taking bowling agate from drunken Milwaukeeans.
    Then we'll talk.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm going to be dreadfully honest. i was off yesterday. i have no idea who played in the fucking las vegas bowl, nor do i care. i will look to see if the box got in the paper, but really, if i forgot who was playing in that shitty little bowl, what percentage of my readers care?

i guess that's the long way of saying i totally agree.

10. fishwrapper

There is a whole list of things that I don't care about that belong in the paper.
    For example, the whole sport of hockey.
    Point being, using yourself as a litmus or threshold may be a mistake.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fish - i don't think i made myself as clear as i should have. this might sum up my point a little bit better: i don't think anyone outside LA and utah cares any more about the las vegas bowl than they would if byu and ucla played during the regular season.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Shut up and get back to your agate page. You have so many posts, that must be what you do for a living. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted