1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need some sj.com mojo...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Just hoping for a Las Vegas Bowl box in the next few minutes. We have a 13-inch story already. NBA boxes move within five minutes of the game ending. Why, oh why does it take so long to move a stinkin' box score from a bowl game!? We went through this same thing last night with the New Orleans Bowl.
    Anyhoo, throwing up a prayer to the SportsJournalists.com gods seems to work. So here's hoping...

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm at home. i hope you never get your damned box. ;D

3. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Back in my day, we used to type those box scores in by hand. Both ways! In the snow!

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In a few minutes, that might become an option.

5. PhantomPunch

PhantomPunch Guest

Plug it if you have to.

Your boss asks why, tell him you're not Superman.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Uphill...

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Over the course of the season, I've noticed that college football games usually take a while to come through, usually much longer than NFL boxes.

Now, obviously that's during the regular season when there's a lot more games, but the same thing may apply.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ended up punting and tweaking the agate page a little. Of course, less than five minutes after we finish the damn box moves. Four writethrus of the gamer came before it, though.
    By the end, I was more pissed at our slow paginator than the AP. I had visions of being out 30 or 40 minutes early and getting on the road home. Instead, we're wrapping up five minutes before deadline.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

AP has farmed out its agate to something called StatsInc (or so I was told on one of my many bitchy phone calls to them about "Where's my such and such agate").

It was a bad idea, and I hope StatsInc stews in the fires of damnation for all eternity.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

All these many moons later, I can remember the number to the AP agate desk.
    Can't remember my PIN number. But, I remember the AP agate desk.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I remember the good 'ol days, when we were one of the country's most complete sports sections.

Actually got football games that started at 8 p.m. in the paper. Agate, too.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's a great answer.

Draft saved Draft deleted