1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need some help From the SJ.com Big Brains Please (long story long)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dirk Legume, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Let me start by saying that, by the letter of the law, I am screwed. I know this. And now...the rest of the story.

In 2004, we decided to add a room to our house. Part of the addition would be a home theater. In December of 2004, we purchased a big screen TV from a local store. While the room was not finished yet, we bought it then for two reasons. The store wanted the sale on their books for 2004 (which they told us) and we would be eligible for some zero percent financing. The room was not ready and the store knew we would not need the TV until it was. Due to the fact that we hired Mephistopheles as a contractor, the room was not ready for the TV until May of 2005. We bought all the rest of the stuff for the theater (speakers, wires, DVD player, etc...) and took delivery of the TV, in May of 2005 and at that time, we were asked if we wanted an extended warranty, for the TV. After asking specifically when the warranty would be in effect, we were told that it would go into effect that day, May 21st 2005.

Fast forward to last Saturday. The TV quit working. I have no idea what is wrong with it. Sunday morning, I called the warranty company and was told that our warranty had expired on the 8th of this month, three years from the purchase date. I have a receipt that states the purchase date and the warranty contract date. So I called the guys that sold it to me and after making me wait a couple of days, they told us that it doesn't matter what we were told when we bought it, it just matters what the contract says. He also said that it was our fault for not reading the fine print, he couldn't be responsible for what we were told. The contract does say "from date of purchase" so I don't have much recourse I suppose.

Obviously, I will never shop there again. But is there anything I can maybe do to get them to honor what they told us? (draino bomb maybe) My wife plans to have the TV fixed, send them the bill (which could be north of 1000 dollars apparently) and when they refuse to pay it, take them to small claims court. But I just want to go shake the guy.

Thanks

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If it ain't written, it ain't said.

Methinks you're screwed.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Man, that sucks, and you're probably screwed. Do you know you took delivery of the exact television you purchased? You might want to compare the cereal number on the set to the receipt.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd go talk to the store manager in person. But you made a couple mistakes in this deal that I hope you learn from.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You're screwed on the warranty, but if you go into the store and talk with the manager, you might be able to work something out.

If he's a dick about it, well, then, you don't shop there anymore.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

You're probably screwed. The warranty company doesn't care about whether you shop at that store again and they're the ones on the hook. The store isn't going to do anything for you because it's not their dime.

Your one (forlorn) hope would be to talk to the store manager and see if he can talk to the warranty company. If the store still uses the same company, they might honor it to prevent losing the store's business. But ask nicely.

And if that doesn't work, upper deck the store's men's room.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Is this local store part of a chain? If it is Best Buy, just go with the draino bomb now. You're going to end up wanting to do it anyway.

8. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

No, It's a local store and we have already spoken to the store owner. He is not willing to help.

And yeah, methinks I am screwed too. :-\

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Upper deck? Not familiar with that term ...

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Shit in the tank, not the bowl.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Dirk, What kind of TV is it?

We had a problem with a fairly new Sony on which we had no warranty. Mr. Lugs made a series of calls to Sony, and they ended up fixing it or sending us a new TV--can't remember.

I remember him being on the phone with Sony and reeling off a list of every Sony product we'd bought in the last 5 years. Then, in a nice way, he told them he wouldn't buy Sony anymore unless this got fixed.

I couldn't believe it actually worked. But it took a lot of phone calls and several days.

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

I sold cars for 5 1/2 years.....you should be OK.

Here's why;

Farmers buy trucks all the time in December, so then can use it as a year-end write-off. We dated paperwork all the time to say....."Joe-Bob bought this truck on Dec. 21.....financed the truck........didn't take delivery of said truck until Jan. 2.......and that is the date as "Date of Sale"

His warranty did not begin until Jan. 2

Your warranty did not begin until you picked up the TV.....unless they didn't Post-date the paperwork. If they didn't post-date the paperwork.....well, then.......you are fu-barred.

Draft saved Draft deleted