1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need some advice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Aug 21, 2007.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd say if there's a step before speaking to your editor or the hiring manager, it would be this: Have another meeting, but then give him a WRITTEN reprimand that spells out consequences (termination, suspension, whatever) and send a copy for his personnel file.

Initiate the formal disciplinary procedures at your shop. If that doesn't scare him into doing what he should be doing, then you have grounds to terminate his employment.

2. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Sounds like this person really doesn't want to be there.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Feel free to approach the loser you helped get hired and tell him to get his tail in gear.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

I would make him give you a report about everything he did on each day. Maybe that will get the message to this person, but if it doesn't you have some supporting information.

5. CanzanoJohn

CanzanoJohn New Member

Be up front.

Period.

6. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

What, exactly, is this guy supposed to be doing? Is this a reporter who just isn't reporting anything?

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Whatever you do from here, keep a written record.

8. 212areacode

212areacode Member

Why would he need a written record? Seems absurd. Just be up front with the guy.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He would need a written record if he plans to terminate the guy.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

People have been fired on less, but yes, keep it in writing.

And if you need to haul his ass into the office for a one-on-one every day, do it.

11. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I find it better to address the issue head on with the individual involved and if they don't clean up their act, then go to the boss.

12. The matter has been resolved. Thanks everyone

Draft saved Draft deleted