1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need some advice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Well here's the thing, we recently hired a new employee that I went to bat for to get here and get him on staff. However, since he has arrived, he has done absolutely nothing and mostly shuffles around the office all day, drawing a check. Others have noticed this and brought it to the editor's attention. My question is should I approach the editor about the situation, address it myself or let it ride?

2. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Pull the slacker aside and tell them they're screwing up. If he knows that you went to bat for him, then remind him of that.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Better can him before his 90 days are up.

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Don't make it a public thing at first. Pull him aside and tell him that you put your neck on the line to bring him into the position, and people are noticing that he is not doing as good as a job as advertised. Tell him that if he expects to continue with your paper, he has to pick up the slack or you can find 100 other people waiting to take his spot. If he doesn't shape up, go to the editor about the situation, and by that time, maybe post in the Job board.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Follow the chain of command. Go to the source of the problem (the douche bag), then your editor, then the publisher -- or whatever rungs your rag has. Keeping silent will only manifest the hostile environment, so will going over the douche bag's head. Go to him and explain your thoughts, and if he doesn't shape up, go to a higher step.

6. Spartakate

Spartakate New Member

Yeah nip this in the bud as early as possible. Then post the dramatic results here.

7. Thanks guys. Well I talked to him today and told him how I threw my neck out there for him and his being lazy is the bullshit I get? He just sat there and then went on being useless. Next step, bring it up when we have our meeting tomorrow.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

fine if you want to say something to the person you vouched for but it's not your place to go to your editor and especially not your place to go to the publisher.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

unless you are in the management chain, why is it your business to bring anything up in a meeting? you talked to the person in private, now your part should be done.

10. i should have cleared that up. we have staff department meetings and he is in my staff, along with the general news department. when i meet with him tomorrow, i will bring up again in our one-on-one meeting

11. Spartakate

Spartakate New Member

Also you might want to tell whomever you recommended this person to(hiring editor etc.), if you feel comfortable, "Hey I thought this person was abc, and I'm sorry he's xyz."

I'd be concerned about my reputation personally. In the future if you really DO have a good person to recommend and you've recommended bad people in the past, they might not consider the next person you stand up for.

I guess it depends how close your shop is, but that's what I'd do.

12. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Isn't this kind of moot at this point?

Draft saved Draft deleted