1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need new sports writing to read

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportsreader, Oct 4, 2010.

1. sportsreader

sportsreader New Member

My name is Bobby. I'm a businessman from Illinois, and I am looking for a new sports fill. I am growing increasingly tired of ESPN (as I can see many of you users of this site are as well). I like the Chicago papers, but they have never been that special. I love Peter King on SI and all writing in SI magazine. But I'm looking for some good sports writing in all sports, at all levels and from all places. I figured who better would know where to find this type writing than professionals? Let me know if you have any thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, Bobby, you've found the right place if you like Peter King. Several people here do Peter King better than Peter King does Peter King.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Bobby, if I may ask, what's your business? 'Businessman' seems like something my grandpa would say. Also, what kind of name is 'Bobby' for a businessman?

That said, welcome, and you cannot go wrong with Jason Whitlock or Joe Posnanski, not necessarily in that order, for entirely different reasons.

5. sportsreader

sportsreader New Member

Well, it's not my business persay...but I am involved in a computer technologies business.

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

sounds like he's in waste management . . . if you know what I mean.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Now what kind of employee would I be if I didn't??

www.fanhouse.com

A terrific mix and a bias. On the pulldown menu of writers/staff, that's me under Senior Editor, College Sports

So do me a "solid' and read it all and tell your friends and their friends and theirs, too. Your Moderator and colleagues thank you. And welcome.

8. Sports.Scribe

Sports.Scribe New Member

A nice Peter King imitation, courtesy of 21 from a World Cup thread:

"Dear Anne Frank Organization:

I am Peter King of Sports Illustrated, an American sports magazine. First let me say, I am big personal fan of Harald Hasselbach, who hails from the Netherlands as you undoubtedly know. Although he didn't get much playing time with the Denver Broncos, no doubt you are all very proud of him.

I am writing today about my recent visit to your house. Let me be frank (pun intended). You could do a lot better. I was really in the mood for an emotional moment, and frankly (oops, pun not intended, but will leave it!) I left feeling rather disappointed and also somewhat irritated by the surprising number of German tourists with incredibly poor hygiene. I guess you can't do anything about that, but in such a cramped space it's rather obnoxious. I suppose Anne knew something about that! Maybe the tour guide could have drawn the analogy during the little talk session.

Anyway, after my visit, as I wandered Amsterdam in search of a Duane Reade where I could buy some Purell, I started thinking. I don't know if you folks have ever visited a Disneyland location, I know there's one in Paris but I don't hear good things. But if you ever get to the US, please make time to see what I'm talking about here:

There's this one ride, very famous, with a Haunted House. You go inside, unprepared for what's about to happen, sit in a moving car, which takes you through the Haunted House. Things jump out, crazy voices and music, shocking sights...I cannot help but think this might really be a great way to experience Anne's house. Nazis jumping out of the walls, that bookcase slamming back and forth, then you shut the people behind the wall, scare the bejeezus out 'em! They will never forget!

At the end of the Haunted House ride, you go in front of a mirror where it looks like you're riding with two ghosts...maybe you could use some old skinny rabbi images or something, I don't know, just a thought.

Anyway, I just think people are used to better entertainment these days, videos and links and such, I would not want the great memory of Anne Frank to be lost due to lack of better technology.

Doei!
    Peter King

ps, Hope there are no hard feelings about the speed skating thing in the Olympics, you guys are still pretty great."

9. newinthefield

newinthefield Member

I always enjoyed Terry Pluto from the Cleveland Plain Dealer. Not just his newspaper work (which is what it seems like you are looking for given that you want all levels?) but also his books.

10. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Just a few suggestions for you in addition to the ones already mentioned here. I enjoy reading these folks; perhaps you will too.

TJ Simers: LA Times
    Chris Dufresne: LA Times (great on college football)
    Jerry Brewer: Seattle Times
    Dwight Perry: Seattle Times
    Scott Ostler: SF Chronicle
    Randy Galloway: Ft Worth Star Telegram
    Tony Barnhart: Atlanta Journal Constituion
    Mike Bianchi: Orlando Sentinel (Saturday column always good)
    Gene Collier: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (Read the "Trite Trophy" column every year on the last Sunday of the year.)Steve Rosenbloom: Chicago Tribune.com
    David Whitley: Fanhouse.com
    Chris Harry: Fanhouse.com
    Ray Didinger: CSNPhilly.com
    Mark Kriegel: Fox sports.com
    Charles P. Pierce: Boston Globe/Boston.com
    Bob Molinaro: Hampton Roads Virginian-Pilot
    Brad Rock: Deseret Morning News (Tuesday column, "Rock On" is very good)

Hope something to your liking is there.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Suggest starting your day with this site:

http://www.ussportspages.com/cgi-bin/top10.cgi

They provide link to the top 10 stories of day from newspapers around the country.

Also besides Fanhouse check out Fox Sports.com. They have a great stable of columnists including Whitlock and Mark Kriegel

12. Writer33

Writer33 Member

I suggest you start here and go forth —

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/28073/

Draft saved Draft deleted