1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need money

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by moonlight, Mar 26, 2008.

1. moonlight

moonlight Member

I'm making $28K at my paper. Could be better; could be worse.

Other than looking for a new job, can anyone give me an idea or two on making more money? I do stringer work when I can but I'm not in an area where stringers are needed a lot. I'm just looking for suggestions to make some more cash on the side.

Oh, and please don't tell me to get a part-time job at McDonalds. That's not what I'm asking about.
  2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Sub at the local schools.
    If you work in the evenings and days off during the week, you can make some decent side job money. Most places pays at least $75 a day.
    Make sure your boss is okay with it first, but it likely won't be a problem as long as you don't bang one of the students.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Some friends of mine run a court-reporting firm. I've been proofreading the transcripts for 'em for 10+ years. It pays 25 cents a page. I can do 60 pages an hour on average. Not a bad side gig, depending on how much they need me to do.
  4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

dealing crack still is profitable, isn't it?
  5. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I hear there are some great house by the Bakersfield airport ;)
  6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

four star, my friend. four star.
  7. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

In all seriousness, see if you can hook on as a temp proofreader. Where I am, proofreaders can pull in $15 to $28 an hour, and you can pretty much work around your newspaper schedule.
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yeah, I do mine at home! Just pick it up, they tell me when to bring it back, and I do.
  10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Crack is so 1990s.
    Meth is the best and most profitable. You can buy everything legally over the counter, then cook it up and make huge profit.
  11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Just don't blow up your house.
    My suggestion -- buy an old U-Haul truck and cook it up in the back of that. Should it blow up, you only lose whatever you got in the truck.

Seriously, what kind of companies do some of you guys proofread for? I've heard of some trade mags paying pretty well.

I'm in the process of going over a children's book, but it's not paid. Maybe it will lead to something else.
  12. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Pimpin' ain't easy, so that's out.

It may not be for you, but I always suggest contacting a temp agency (express, Kelly, Manpower, etc) in your area to explore options. I've turned to them many times over the past 15 years, and have always found something, at least for me, decent. Last part-time gig I had was working weekends as a mold technician for four months in a kayak plant. That was a blast.
Draft saved Draft deleted