1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need help sj.com with wife and a high school reunion

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Nov 11, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Ok, what should I do?

I have a 20th high school reunion coming up over the Thanksgiving holiday. My wife of two years has no desire to go. She does not know anyone there, and is not even from the same state as my classmates.

She will be in town with me, but she does not want to go to the reunion. She would rather stay home with our child and not have my folks put her to bed. Mrs. 93 does not trust my folks with Lil 93. This is an unfounded lack of trust.

The cost is 55 bucks a plate, so her and I will be $110 total plus whatever is spent in the bar afterwards. We can afford it, but right now we could place her $55 to a better Christmas gift for someone.

I am going. There is no debating that.

Should I force her to go, take two cars and have her leave while I stay and hang out?

Is she being unreasonable?

I have never attended a high school reunion, so I have no idea the protocol on this.

Help

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I attended my 15th last month and brought my girlfriend, but I was surprised at how many married people came without their spouses. So if that's any indication, you should be OK without her.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My wife has asked me to go to all of her reunions (5, 10, 15) and my answer has remained a steady no. And for an extra $55? No friggin' way.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My graduating class was a bunch of dickheads (including me, I would suppose), so I've never been to one.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Go by yourself. What's the big deal. If she doesn't know anyone, it won't be fun for her. And now you can hookup with all your old flings.

6. 93Devil

Boy, there is a loaded response.

Thanks everyone.

Of course, more opinions are appreciated.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I don't understand the question at all.

Why would you force her to go if she doesn't want to? How is that going to work out well?

It's just a high-school reunion. It's not some life-or-death event.

8. 93Devil

I was thinking about my friends wanting to meet my wife.

Plus, this does not happen every year.

9. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

My wife didn't go to our 10 year reunion & now we're divorced. ;)

Seriously, you should be fine. This will give you more time to connect with long-lost friends instead of making sure you're wife is having a good time.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

At my 20th a few years ago, some of the spouses looked miserable. If she doesn't want to go, don't "force" her to go. If she wants to stay home, let her stay.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Why force her to go when she'll just stand around and be a miserable pill all night? A bunch of folks left their spouses at home and went stag to our 20th in July.

Of course, I think her issue with your parents is a far bigger issue than this ...

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

How do you plan on forcing her to go? She's an adult, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted