1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need an Excel genius

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Sep 24, 2013.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I am currently working on a project to reorganize a section within my company that has the potential to completely change the HR/administrative culture of my 700-Soldier organization. But I need an Excel guru.

Anyone out there?

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I use it a lot, but I have no idea if I am a guru.

What do you want it to do?

3. three_bags_full

I need one master tracker with multiple tabs to pull ver basic information from seven identical subordinate trackers. For example, when my admin officer opens the master tracker and looks at Tab A (evaluations, for example), I need her to be able to see, sort and filter the identical data it's pulling from the subordinate trackers.

4. 93Devil

If you can do that with Excel, then you are way over my head.

This sounds like a database, though.

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Exactly what I was thinking. That Access might be your better bet.

6. three_bags_full

Culturally, I'm afraid, we're stuck in the excel generation.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

So, when you open your "master tracker" (I assume you mean the master spreadsheet) you want it to update with data that people have entered into other "subordinate trackers" (I assume you mean other spreadsheets). Is that correct?

8. three_bags_full

Yep. And the seven subordinate spreadsheets will have multiple tabs.

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

OK. I am assuming that all these spreadsheets are saved on the same network, correct? The data in the master spreadsheet will only be as good as the last time that each of those seven linked files were last saved. You are not going to get updates in real time. Assuming that is all OK ... you will also need to protect (very highly protect) most of the information on the seven linked files so that the persons entering information into them cannot change anything at all except enter data into select fields.

Now, assuming that all the above is true ... I can do that for you, but not sure I can direct you through it over the 'net. If all the above conditions are met, though, yes it is possible.

10. three_bags_full

I think all those conditions can be met.

11. 93Devil

Bags, the Access program Lies talks about, and she seems waaaaaaaaay more knowledgeable about this than me, is already in your system if you have MS Office, which you should since you have Excel.

Draft saved Draft deleted