1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need an 80s movie (and a 90s one, etc.)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Dec 23, 2014.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I’m doing an outreach program where I work and am showing a movie from each decade that shows a slice of Americana during that decade, or highlight something American that’s teachable to a foreign audience that doesn’t know much about “real America.” (The idea is to educate and promote discussion.)

So far: 30s: “Mr. Smith Goes to Washington;” 40s: “It’s a Wonderful Life;” 50s: “Twelve Angry Men;” 60s: “To Kill a Mockingbird;” 70s: “Network.”

I need one for the 80s, and really, the 90s, and 00s too. Suggestions?

Parameters include: Must be set in America. No explicit sex scenes, minimal swearing, preferably no f-bombs. Negative themes are OK, so long as they’re realistic and the tone of the movie appeals to the masses. (I did “It’s a Wonderful Life” this month and discussed suicide and depression at the holidays). Can’t have too complicated of a plot; it’s hard enough to follow a simple story line when it’s not in your native language. Definitely no spy movies, fictitious political thrillers anything like that.

Ideal is about 90-110 minutes; I aim for a two-hour event total with discussion.

The PR guy wants me to do “Top Gun.” There has to be something better.

Suggestions for the 80s? And beyond?

Songbird likes this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

For the 80s, I'll say the "Breakfast Club". There is a bit of swearing in there, but teen angst is a theme you can discuss.

For the 90s, I'll pick "Forrest Gump" It can give your class a perspective on each decade, although there are a couple of mild sex scenes with Forrest and Jenny. They may not get some of the jokes, though, but you can explain it to them.

3. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

"Wall Street" would be a good 80s film, with greed being the obvious discussion topic.

For the 90s, "Pulp Fiction" might be too violent but maybe that's the topic. Or "Good Will Hunting" is a good movie with a couple things you could go into.

ETA: I forgot about all the f-bombs in GWH. Probably the others too. Finding a good movie these days without a few of those is fucking hard!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  4. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

And "Crash" would be good for the 2000s.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Hmmm... I have thought about "The Breakfast Club," but it's been shown locally, albeit with the pot-smoking scene cut out. But is teen angst a sole American characteristic?

"Wall Street" would probably work well. I haven't see it, but that certainly was the 80s. I'll look into that one. "Crash," I fear, would be complicated to follow, but I will re-watch that and see.

What American theme does "Pulp Fiction" represent?

Pass on Gump for the same reason I'd veto "Mr. Holland's Opus," though I think depict slices of America. I'm trying to focus on one decade, and both those span too many years.

And yeah, it is flippin hard to find movies without a lot f-bombs. I got an exception made for "Network;" not going to push my luck.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

TeamBud with the useless suggestions.

The Breakfast Club is perfect for what you want. It's as much about classism as angst. Most of Forrest Gump is flashbacks. How about The Truman Show or Jurassic Park to show the increasing emphasis on technology? In the 2000s, I would go outside the box with a Pixar choice: Up! is a great pick. For the 2010s, I'm a bit behind.

7. Truman Show for the 1990s. Little Miss Sunshine or Juno for the 2000s, but haven't seen it in a while. Assume it has f-bombs.

The Simpsons Movie as a weird wild card.

For the current decade, Silver Linings Playbook, The Muppets, or The Social Network.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Field of Dreams for the 80s
    Do you do documentaries? Hoop Dreams could be a good one for the 90s to talk about ruling to get out of poverty and often not making it

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'd suggest "Mask," with Cher, Sam Elliott and Eric Stoltz for the '80's.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If The Breakfast Club is out, how about Back To The Future?

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Or Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

12. 80s: Gung Ho? Back to the Future?
    90s: Wow .. gonna need something with a grunge rock soundtrack or the counting crows. Or rap. Yeah, rap, but that fails to meet a lot criteria, or I would suggest Friday. Or Boyz n the Hood.
    A clean 90s movie?? Mallrats? Swingers? No, both rated R. Fargo? Unforgiven?
    2000 .. The Hangover? How about Taken?

Draft saved Draft deleted