1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need a place to eat in Charlottesville - suggestions please

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Jun 10, 2010.

1. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

Ask around about a chef named Peter Chang. He was profiled in the New Yorker back in March. He usually works in these nondescript Chinese restaurants in strip malls, etc. According to the article, he's set up shop somewhere in Charlottesville. He's got this cult following of folks who drive hundreds of miles for his cuisine.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Holy shit, that is fantastic, but I think he moved again after this article was written.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2010/03/chef-peter-chang-disappears-again.html

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

It's been reported that he might try to open a place in Richmond at Short Pump, in that new mixed-use development on Broad Street near Short Pump Town Center for you Richmonders among us.

http://www.styleweekly.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=4066F83FD28B412A82E6A89D2D5B7A24&AudID=B41896E73131487DA9D3430288834D1D

4. 93Devil

Wife informed me that The Mall might be a poor venue because of a First Friday think going on there.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Blue Mountain Brewery in Wintergreen is 100 times better than Starr Hill.

And yes, IJAG, that was the spot.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Good timing. I'm taking my daughter south to visit schools the week after next and I'll be in Charlottesville on Sunday leaving Monday. I've already got The Nook on my list. Does Charlottesville close on Sundays?

And restaurant recommendations in the Durham-Chapel Hill area would be appreciated as well...

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

No, but half the town will be over at UVa watching the super regional game against Oklahoma.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Yeah, pretty sure he's gone. He was at a place up 29 North. Some friends and I tried to go there and it was so packed that they shut the door on us. Don't think he's there anymore.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The place is called Taste of China and it's really good, even though Chang himself isn't there any more.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Flaming Wok, despite its history of serving a young Big Circus alcohol underage, was a poor substitute that night.

11. 93Devil

We did an old stand by - Tip Top close to 64. It's a favorite of my wife.

Lil 93 was her usual big hit.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Never heard of them. What's their signature beer?

Draft saved Draft deleted