1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need a new favorite show. Sell me on yours.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, May 14, 2011.

1. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I'll also throw out Community and Parks and Rec for you. Both very, very good.

2. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

The beauty of Veronica Mars, Dexter and FNL is that if you've got a Netflix subscription right now, you can watch basically their entire runs on the streaming service. I almost don't bother with regular TV anymore and just cruise Netflix. I'd rather spend $10 a month for its content than fork over $40 or 50+ for cable. Between that and Hulu I'm not missing much.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

HBO finally came up with the spiritual successor to "Deadwood" in "Boardwalk Empire": a historical drama that gets the period right and where violence and death lurks at every turn.
    And the dialogue. Hearing a prim and proper Irishwoman tell a bimbo "Perhaps your cunny isn't the draw you think it is" floored me just as hard as any exchange between Swearingen and Wu.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This is a great chance to get caught up on Mad Men. If you have never watched Arrested Development, that is another one, but it will never come back. Justified is good. Lost is an amazing ride with a semi-lame final hill. The greatest ride ever, though.

I really have to watch Modern Family. The same with Breaking Bad.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Warehouse 13, Eureka, Mythbusters and Phineas and Ferb.

Love all those shows. :)

6. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

For sheer writing, nothing has ever been better. Not even The Wire (which is second in G.W.O.A.T., but the greater show overall).

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

On the "not paying for DVDs" line of advice, there's also a thing called a public library. Just checked out and watched the entire, two-season run of "Life on Mars" (BBC version).

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yup. I've gone that route on a few things.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Just read an AV Club essay by Todd Vanderwerf, whose opinion I respect, about the greatness of The Good Wife and compared it favorably to the Wire.

Now DD, whose opinion on TV I respect, is now touting its greatness. Now I'm wondering what I'm missing since I've never seen an episode.

Do yourself a favor and find the BBC's Coupling and thank me later. One of the best TV comedies ever.

If you have HBO, check out Game of Thrones and this season of Dr Who has been remarkably strong.

If you like cartoons and superheros, get the Justice League on DVD. No show before it and no show since did a better job of having self-contained episodes that also pushed forward the story arc.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Hopefully they have Ashes to Ashes too so you're not left in the dark as to what happened to Sam Tyler.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The Good Wife is very, very good. Season finale tonight.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've seen The Good Wife. Just didn't care for it. To each his own, though. I know plenty of people love it.

I've been watching Game of Thrones. The last episode finally got me fully hooked.

I watched Justice League as it aired, including when they turned it into Justice League Unlimited. Of course, those two series came out of Superman, which spun out of Batman: The Animated Series. The genius of Bruce Timm among others. I still go through YouTube once in a while watching old episodes of those shows. They were all excellent.

I still think somebody should get Christian Bale to take lessons on providing the voice of Batman from Kevin Conroy. They had fantastic artists and voice talents, from Conroy to Tim Daly as Superman, Clancy Brown as Lex Luthor and Mark Hamill as the Joker.

Now you've got me wanting to look up old episodes on YouTube tonight.

Draft saved Draft deleted