1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need a new favorite show. Sell me on yours.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, May 14, 2011.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Seconded. Mythbusters is appointment viewing for me, especially now that The Universe is off the air.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Another vote for "Breaking Bad." Love, love, love that show. Yes, it's intense, but it's so well-written and well-acted that it passes the "9:45 test" (where you look at the clock, see that it's suddenly 9:45, and get a little sad that this episode is almost over and you won't have another new one for another week).

Other pros:
    1) There really haven't been a lot of episodes, so you can catch up in a hurry. Only 32 episodes, if I'm counting correctly. Season 1 was only six shows because of the writers strike.
    2) Season 4 starts in July. So if you can watch the first three seasons on DVD in the next two months, you'll caught up just in time to get excited for the new episodes.
    3) Like all great shows, it's just starting to hit its peak right now.

Other cons:
    1) As mentioned, it can be intense and unsettling at times. There's periods where the main characters are not only unlikable, but downright despicable -- which is, however, part of what makes the show so good.
    2) It's only got a shelf life of 4-5 seasons, and its creative team has said that's all they're going to wring out of it. So if you get into it now and like it, you might be resurrecting this thread in a year or two.

3. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I'd suggest Veronica Mars if you didn't watch it when it was on the air. Don't be fooled by the high school setting, it just uses it as a framing device for the noir-style mysteries it tells. I discovered it on Netflix recently and mainlined it in a week. Well, the first season. The third season took a nose dive, imo, and while the second season was good I hated the way they ended that season's 'mystery' plot. Solid acting and writing all around, though.

I'm also loving 'Game of Thrones' so far, to continue the geeky suggestions.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I would second Veronica Mars. But only the first two seasons. The third season is something entirely different and not that good. From there move on to Terriers. Don't know if it's out on DVD, but I'm sure you can download it somewhere. 13 episodes of perfect, heart-felt intense television. It will have the reputation of The Wire before too long.

I would give BBC's Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes a shot. And if you like comedy, the BBC's Peep Show can't be matched.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

"Breaking Bad". "Mad Men". These are worth not just renting but owning. Like "The Wire" and "The Shield" we go back to them over and over.

"Deadwood" is my current passion. An absolutely amazing show.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

HC - I just finished watching "Deadwood." Loved it (and the others you mentioned as well, especially "The Shield").

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I'm currently watching "the killing" and it's very good.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Your analysis of the seasons is excellent.

But VM is distinctive for being the most distinctive dirty-old-man delight of any series in a long, long time.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's hard to go wrong with any of the Top Chef shows. Great-looking food and generally real people providing some degree of drama.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So you have heard.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Doesn't it feel like the Western that Shakespeare would have written?

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I love the language.

Draft saved Draft deleted