1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need a new favorite show. Sell me on yours.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, May 14, 2011.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Mythbusters... Kari Byron, Kari Byron, explosions, tons of random, cool experiments, Kari Byron, Kari Byron, guns, Kari Byron.

Men of a Certain Age. New season starts in June. Honestly, it's the first drama/comedy I've watched in years. Really well done show.

2. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Since you were willing to find Battlestar Galactica in the higher cable channels, I highly encourage you try out Warehouse 13 when it returns on SyFy in the summer. The premise is that over the course of human history, a small group of agents from the world's leading power at the time pursue artifacts that endanger the world and/or are used for evil by various villains. There have been 13 total Warehouses, the most recent in South Dakota and run by the Secret Service.

Some great historical elements brought to life (H.G. Wells is a character, female, complete with time machine), along with some quality writing that ranges from humor to drama. Season 3 about to start in July, but its SyFy, so the reruns are fairly accessible and I'm sure they'll do a marathon before the new season begins.

Also, for comedy, The Big Bang Theory. I resisted, too, because how funny can nerds be, right? Turns out, they're hilarious. Best comedy on TV.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Warehouse 13 is a good call. I have seen it a few times. Maybe I need to give it more of an extended chance.

No idea why I've never liked The Big Bang Theory. You'd think it is right up my alley, but for some reason, I just don't like it that much.

4. outofplace

Wouldn't BYH not speaking to you for weeks be a good thing? :)

I guess he's not going to speak with me, either, because I agree with you.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I like Community and Parks and Rec a lot, but neither are even close to being on the same level as Modern Family.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This says more about my family situation than my taste in TV, but Phineus and Ferb has been awesome.

7. outofplace

Of all the shows I end up watching parts or all of because my daughter likes them, that is my favorite.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

On the list of reasons why I won't talk to you assholes, disliking FG most of the time is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY down the list!

I am actually in complete agreement with you assholes (need a decontamination shower, can't get rid of the stench!). FG misses far more than it hits. When it hits, it's awesome. But this year's had about two or three worthwhile shows and the rest have ranged from eminently forgettable to some of the most offensive shit ever aired on TV. There was an episode in March or so when Stewie's clone (wait a minute didn't they do that already?) went on a killing spree. Utterly without laughs, merit or any redeeming value whatsoever.

As for my contribution, try Glee. You should be familiar with the plight of the NERRRRRRRRRRDS!!!! :D :D :D

Also, it's good to know I know, albeit in a weird passive-aggressive message board rivalry sort of way, the only person in America who watched Smallville.

9. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

If you have BBC you can try The Inbetweeners, which is basically what would happen if you set It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia in a high school in England.
    Also I've gotten into Justified the past few weeks, if you like hot head law enforcement battling redneck crime families. Good cast too.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Justified is very good.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Late darkhorse addition: "Raising Hope." Very, VERY funny show from the creator of "My Name Is Earl." This week, "Earl's" Ethan Suplee and Jaime Pressly guest-starred as neighbors of Hope's grandparents. Hope's grandma gets pissed off at Pressly and blurts out "Your husband looks like the slimmed down version of the fat guy from Mallrats!" And Suplee gives her this knowing glance. About shit myself.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Everyone is different ... Modern Family is pretty good, very funny, but Parks and Recreation "litrilly" makes me laugh out loud at least three times per episode.

Draft saved Draft deleted