1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need a little cooking help please.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dirk Legume, Nov 6, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Thanks for the nod in the lead, Dirk. If you could see me blushing ...

Anyhoo, Slappy mentioned one of my favorites -- the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. I use it all the time, when I'm not forced to eat chowhall food for six fucking months. *Could be worse. Could be 15, huh?* The buttermilk pancakes are to die for.

But what got me interested in cooking was one of the "Top Secret Restaurant Recipes" books. All kinds of stuff. From Tony Roma's ribs to Hooters' wings to ... hell, you name it. I still cook things from it ALL the time. Lots of good deserts. You can cook it one weekend and try it at the restaurant on the next weekend and talk about how much better yours is. Who gives a darn if it isn't as pretty? They're shit's probably all pre-made, or something.

Once I realized I was interested in cooking, and had at least some aptitude for it, I bought "Cooking For Dummies." That's my go-to guy for "how-to" and "why" questions. Taught me a TON about sauces, substitutions and different techniques, such as braising and blackening. Good info, that book.

I read the 75th edition of The Joy of Cooking, and was not impressed. Previous versions have been much, much better. They tried to get too cute with it, rather than do what they've done for YEARS. But, it's still the Bible. The best cookbook, from top to bottom, ever written. Just get an earlier edition from Amazon, or something.

The main ingredient for cooking (Ha! Get it?) is fun. Turn off the TV, get Mrs. Legume in the kitchen, tell jokes, drink beer or wine, and spend all night there. When Mrs. t_b_f and I cook, it's normally a three-hour ordeal. Hell, we usually end up on the floor while the etoufee's simmering.

Also, have a mission. Try to perfect something. Mrs. t_b_f has a great aunt, who's a charming Southern, grandmotherly figure of about 80, who tips the scales at about two-and-a-half bills. She can cook. Period. She confirms my motto: "Never trust a skinny cook." Yeah, that's her. Well, her chicken and dumplings are the best around, bar none. No one in the family ever even dares bring dumplings to a gathering. No one wants to. Hers are that good. Last time I cooked them, Mrs. t_b_f said mine were better. And she was serious. It made my week. I was on cloud nine 'cause I could outcook an old, fat, Southern grandma at her own game.

One last tip. Keep pen and paper in the kitchen at all times. Each time you cook something and change an ingredient, measurement, temperature or technique, WRITE IT DOWN. I can't tell you how many times I've tried something different with a cheesecake that worked and had no recollection of what I did.

Remember, Dirk. It's all about fun, man.

2. three_bags_full

Oh, here's another one. Watch the food channel. I've stolen countless ideas and recipes from those guys, especially Emeril.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Absolutely. The Food Network is one of the default channels at our house, especially if no sporting events are on. I have learned a ton just from having it on in the background. It's not so much about learning how to do things, but learning why you should do them. Alton Brown is the best at that, but Emeril Live is excellent, too.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I LOVE Alton.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Dude's mind works in mysterious ways, but he is entertaining and informative as all get out.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I've gotten most of my Thanksgiving recipes off the Food Channel. I love the cheesy mashed potatoes recipe Rachael Ray had a coupla years ago. There's also a show that one really late at night that seem to focus on basics. I, however, haven't watched it in a while so I can't remember the name of it.

7. three_bags_full

Love Alton, too.

Each time I see a dish I like, I'm straight to foodtv.com.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I like the Food Network, but I've never cooked anything from one of the shows. It's entertainment for me, and to be honest, the chefs seem like real critters. Sara Moulton seemed to be the only one remotely impersonating a normal human, and they killed her show because she wasn't entertaining enough. Emeril seems like he's from the cast of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

The Silver Palate cookbooks are great. There is some awesome food in Paul Prudhomme's Seasoned America, but they are time-consuming recipes.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The real trick is going to the trouble to get quality ingredients -- good meat, very fresh veggies -- and then prepare simply.

10. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

The previous versions cover everything from entry-level to fancy-schmancy dinners I've used to impress dates. It contains some of the most basic techniques to the proper way to fillet a trout (I can't do that.)

It's a wise investment that has lasted 10 years and will likely be passed to my children (if I ever get married and have kids).

Another suggestion is to spend some of that free time at the local Borders or Barnes N Nobles in the cooking section. But don't be blown over by fancy pics or extravagant designs. Content is much more important.

Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Frank, we cooked recipes we saw on the Food Network two nights this weekend, and both were fantastic, although we often alter the recipes somewhat.

We saw Bobby Flay make a Japanese lamb tenderloin with soba noodles, but we wanted to try it with pork tenderloin, and we used our own marinade recipe because we didn't like the look of his. It was great.

Last night, we made a chicken, bacon and mushroom pot pie we saw Nigella Lawson make on TV, and it was excellent.

More than anything, though, watching Food Network helps you understand how to be a cook, not just how to cook. If you watch it enough, you learn to think like a chef when you're in the kitchen.

12. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I don't cook at all, aside from occasionally boiling water and throwing frozen ravioli in.

I still own a copy of "A Man, A Can and a Microwave." However, I've never looked at it. Guess I'm waiting for the man. ;)

I recommend "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Cooking Basics," because it not only explains cooking techniques, but tells you how to stock your kitchen. (It's not cheap to buy everything on the list!) I also have "Cooking for Dummies" and "Help! My Apartment has a Kitchen!"

Now I just have to get beyond cold-cut sandwiches and sliced veggies...

Draft saved Draft deleted