1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need a laptop

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OceanLottery, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

FUPA

2. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan of HP Envys. I have two -- one for work and a personal one. They both kick ass. My personal I bought refurbished off of Woot for $650. It has a touchscreen, 1 TB hard drive and 8 gigs RAM. It runs great. My work one is a monster -- 2 TB hard drive, 16 gigs RAM, dedicated graphics card. It renders videos with file sizes of over a gigabyte in a minute. A real pleasure to use.

I have had HPs for years. I have never had any issues with them. I've had another HP laptop since 2006. It's still running great (though I don't use it). Also bought my parents at 23 inch all-in-one that they love.

I also love Windows 8. I do not understand the hate for that OS. I chalk it up to people not liking change. It's a real pleasure to use, especially on my personal HP with the touchscreen.

Ignore TigerVols advice on a Chromebook, unless you want to be married to Google. I've used them, and they are too limited IMO.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I've got a guy here in my town who refurbishes and resells laptops at great, great prices. He really soups the machines up with software, too.

My sister spilled some water on her laptop and took it into a place with a decent reputation. They told her it was shot. I took it to my guy and he had it up and running in minutes by just replacing the keyboard.

I don't think I'll ever go to a regular store or computer-repair place again.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I have a Samsung that was right around 400, as well, and it has done me just fine. Don't do a whole lot of heavy lifting on, though.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If you're worried about having to deal with virus protection and all that, get a MacBook. You can search for and visit the most vile sites on the internet and never have to worry about anything. You go to RedTube on a PC, it'll have computer AIDS within minutes.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

What is this RedTube you speak of?

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

A place to exercise your tubemeat.

8. Have she noticed any charges to Russian companies on her credit card after getting her PC souped up with software?

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I despise Windows 8. Tiles can suck it.

10. OceanLottery

OceanLottery Member

Thanks for all of the tips. I'm going to keep my eye on the deal of the day at macofalltrades and hopefully make a purchase soon. Didn't want to shell out huge bucks for a macs, but they have some good prices there. Appreciate the input, folks.

11. OceanLottery

OceanLottery Member

One more thing. I noticed this caveat when looking at inventory on macofalltrades:

No additional software such as iLife (iPhoto, iMovie and GarageBand), iWork (Pages, Numbers and Keynote), Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), etc. is installed or included. While iLife is installed on every Mac purchased from Apple, it is licensed to the original purchaser and we are not authorized to provide this software free of charge. For more information on iLife and iWork including how to purchase

If anyone's bought from them, is not having this stuff an issue?

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What is the price difference between going through Apple and going through macofalltrades?

Draft saved Draft deleted