1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I nearly slipped off this mortal coil on the highway today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jan 7, 2010.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Bubbler, you were in my nape of the neck? Gone forever is the chance to commiserate with the great Bubs. What luck! The Wal-Mart in nearby East Peoria is a treat your anyone's people-watching eyes; no place better.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

... toward the median, not towards.

Sorry, I just had to interject some humor into your post. I know the situation was anything but funny, and am glad you are OK.

I'm the kind of guy who laughs at a funeral. Can't understand what I mean? Well, you soon will. ;)

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words, but I did have to fix your quote a bit. :D

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Goddammit, Bubs!

5. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Glad you're okay. How fast were you going when this happened? One thing I've found is that people in my neck of the woods don't know how to slow down when conditions are bad.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I was well below speed limit. Experience driving in those conditions was not a factor. I'm from Wisconsin and drive all over the icy Midwest for my beat.

I still think it was a big wind gust (from behind the car) that got my car loose. It came out of nowhere.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Some cities around have started experimenting with a pre-coating before any snowfall.

Before any anticipated snowfall, they are out spreading a liquid on the street, which is supposed to stop the snow from adhering to the surface.

Not exactly sure how it works or if it actually works when the snow starts falling.

Of course, it also doesn't help when you have a sudden snowstorm.

8. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

As a transplanted Cheesehead, I should have just gone with my gut. But I was trying to be nice to our FIB friends on the board... :D

Draft saved Draft deleted