1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I nearly slipped off this mortal coil on the highway today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Y'all speak truth about Illinois and snow maintenance. I almost slipped off the interstate in Effingham once. Although in fairness, when it gets cold enough, salt doesn't do any good anymore.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

They do a pretty good job in Chicago, but that's the only city that matters anyway.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Northbrook is my favourite Illinois community. :)

And I'm glad you're okay, Bubs.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I did a 360 in the middle of a five-lane shopping district the other day going home from work. Luckily it was 1:30 a.m. and not a soul was to be found. Scared the shit out of me at first, but then I was like "AWESOME" when it was over.

Also I have noticed that the streets just about everywhere in this neck of the woods are not being plowed or salted like they used to be.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

If I recall, I-74 between Bloomington-Normal and the Indiana state line is horrible pavement in summer, let alone in a snowstorm.

And there's nothing worse than feeling your car sliding out of control. Everything moves in slow motion, but there's not much you can do.

Glad you made it safe, Bubbler.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

No, but there's certainly other shit that can be put down besides salt. The road's in Montana were almost always good, and it was generally down around 0. It does make your windshield really reflective though.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Glad you are OK also, Bubs. Bub maybe you should have pulled into a cheap motel or rest stop and waited it out.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I-39 and I-74 are not the best kept interstates in our glorious national highway system. I nearly went off the road near Champaign over Christmas.

9. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Glad you're okay, Bubbler.

Illinois is pretty much epic fail in every aspect of roads: construction, maintenance, and especially winter plowing and salting.

I spent two days battling the Illinois Tollway system over Christmas weekend during the last storm. I almost slid off I-88 westbound near the Quad Cities several times. Sure makes you wonder what they spend all that tollway money on.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Well, for starters, the tollway authority and its well-connected leaders built themselves a taj mahal headquarters near the intersection of I-88 and I-355, in Downers Grove ...

Seriously, the Illinois Tollway Authority is a shining example of why the state which produced Governor Blago is perhaps the most corrupt in the country.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

What I don't get is, why does a state that seems to get a lot more of the white stuff than some states have such a problem with snow on the roads? I can see Atlanta having issues, but not Illinois.

Maybe we should rename their capital Springfail.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I had a similar instance in Denver a few years back. I woke up in the morning to a white out and had to drive to the airport. I left on a 15 mile drive to the airport 5 hours before the plane left and barely made boarding time. Plows didn’t come close to driving on those roads. It was a complete disaster.

I'm certainly glad you are okay, Bubbler.

Draft saved Draft deleted